Earthing SWA

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by "Professional" DIYer, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Hi,

I'm putting in some 4 core 1.5mm SWA outside. I'm using quite chunky plastic IP65 JBs with 20mm screw knock-outs.

I can't get the earth ring around the 20s gland inside the box, as the knock out are too close to the edge of the box, I can't put the earth ring around the outside of the box and drill/bolt through because the tags would overlap.

Can I solder my earth cable onto the gland inside the box?

The armour is the only earth for the cable (all cores used with phase or neutral).

Cheers.

2. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

Not sure why you cant get the earth ring(s) on the outside of the box. Have you got 2 cables side by side and the tags with the hole in overlap? If so line the holes up and bolt through and attach earth wire as normal inside the box.

3. ChubbyPhaseWire

ChubbyPhaseWire New Member

Can I solder my earth cable onto the gland inside the
    box?

Its a good job you are a Professional, a lot of DIYers would just ******* it.
    I am taking the PART P.

4. Well my name is a contradiction in terms.

Will bolting through not leave it open to water ingress? Also the outdoor FCU is pretty thick plastic, so I wanted to avoid, if possible drilling through.

a. is there another option
    b. if drilling and bolting, should the earth be crimped to the bolt of is twisting is round then washer and bolt ok? 4mm earth cable used.

Thanks again.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You can get earth-tag glands similar to MI glands, a rare, and to order though.

6. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

If the hole drilled is in the base and the earth rings and glands installed correctly it will be OK, the earth cable should definitely be crimped. With the limited information from your post cant give u any more info.

What is being connected inside the box (L/N/E)?
    What size is the box?
    How many cables to the box?
    What size cables?
    What is the load the cables are feeding?
    What is the location of the box?
    Is it outside or inside or in a car wash?

7. Lectrician

If it is threaded knockouts, i wuld not use these to tighten up against the banjo, i think it wil loosen to easily, i would still want a lock nut inside.

8. These are the boxes:

It is on an outside exposed wall, and the cable setup is as follows:

R + B - 13amp max load
    B + Y - Switched max load 10amps (at the very most, FCU should have a 5amp fuse)

The glands enter on the left and right, with two on one side (spur to underground lighting) and below enters plastic conduit.

Its a very tight fit inside, and I'm trying to avoid earth tags on the outside, which apart from any other reason look ****.

[Edited by: Forum Moderator 5]

9. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

ok - given it some more thought, buy locking rings which should fit on the inside and buy earth tags with wire attached and fit to inside of box. The earth tags I mean usually come with plastic fire alarm pushes to link earth through (tag on both sides of wire).

10. Hi,

gerrin2owd could you give me a link of some sort please, not sure what your suggesting.

The space is tight, but a small lock nut should fit it.

Thanks for the help.

11. Lectrician

Buy a bigger box, you are trying to squeese to much in, the job will end up giving you all sorts of trouble.

Gewiss do plastic boxes that you drill with 20mm holesaw yourself. From 4"x2"x2" right up through to ones you can climn in :)

A 6"x4" would do you great. All wholsalers sell gewiss.

12. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

Cant find the earth tags - ask at wholesaler, they will know what i mean.

[Edited by: Forum Moderator 5]

13. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Earth tags come as part of the SWA gland kit, though they may be available seperately at some places..

TT

14. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

TT, the earth links that I mean have tags at either end of a 150mm length of 1.5mm singles cable

15. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Hi G20 - Not quite sure what you mean but I thought you meant SWA banjos!

TT

16. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

They are used to link cables or conduit thro plastic boxes

17. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Roger that - know what you mean now but thought you had to make em up yourself. Didn't know you could buy em!!

TT

18. Notan Xpert

Notan Xpert New Member

Earth the armour at the house end so it is protected if someone puts a spade or fork through it and use earth rod for earthing in the outbuilding then you wont have to worry about the armour at the plastic box.

19. Earth the armour at the house end so it is protected if someone puts a spade or fork through it and use earth rod for earthing in the outbuilding then you wont have to worry about the armour at the plastic box.

With 6 boxes = 6 rods.

I think not.

I'm still unsure how to continue. Anyone else got an idea?

Cheers.

20. copdog

copdog New Member

Hi pro e-mail me an address and i will send you a couple of the linked earth banjo,s f.o.c