Easi Fill, wallpaper paste and paint ...

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Grumpygrizzler, May 7, 2019.

1. Grumpygrizzler

Grumpygrizzler New Member

Evening all,

Novice looking for guidance ... I want to paint walls that have previously been emulsioned and then wallpapered over at a point in time later on. The wallpaper has now been stripped but this has also lifted some of the emulsion leaving patches (plus there's going to be some residue wallpaper paste left behind)..... I want to skim with Easi Fill to deal with the emulsion patches but what do I need to do about any potential wallpaper paste residue? I'm guessing that I can't skim with Easi Fill without removing the wallpaper paste first? Can't get a plasterer in for a skim as my daughter can't afford it, so its down to the old man and Internet forums to sort it out ...

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep your right to be concerned regarding residual wallpaper paste - plays havoc more when you come to emulsion as is reactivated by the water in the paint and swells up

Give walls a good wash down with hot water and sugar soap solution, buy the powdered stuff and just mix yourself. Wear rubber gloves and clean walls with large sponge scourer and wide scraper / taping knife to remove worst of paste

One final wipe down with clean water

Sand down the walls, remove dust but don't fill/repair at this stage

Take a look at Zinsser Gardz
    It’s a sealer that will hold back any further problems due to paste residue. Easy to use (although thin and watery), apply with a brush for cutting in and roller as you would paint, it has good coverage and goes a long way. Water based so easy clean up. Follow instructions on tin

Then carry out repairs to wall, fill, sand, dust down, then time for a mist coat (watered down matt, non vinyl emulsion)

Mist coat will also highlight any further repair work needed or lumps and bumps uv missed (also depends on how good a finish ur after)

Carry out any more filling and sanding needed. Mist coat any new filler or if several patches over wall, just mist coat the lot again

Final light rub down with P180 or fine sanding sponge/pad, dust down and your ready for your wall colour

Good luck and what a great dad you are :)

ps. Again, the taping knife (SF 7427C / £7) is great for filling wide areas of damage or where previous paint has lifted)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Would seriously consider using a good quality lining paper on this wall as it would be a far more economical approach following some basic ipreparation.

4. Grumpygrizzler

Thanks for the detailed response. I’ll take a look at the Gardz, does Beeline or Screwfix “No Nonsense” primer do the same job? (Probably not as good)?

Much appreciated

5. Grumpygrizzler

Hey. Cheers for the response, unfortunately daughter doesn’t fancy the idea of lining paper but I may try on a wall

Appreciate the response

Thanks

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The Z Gardz is very good for this type of paste issue and is tried and tested, it’s not simply a primer

I’ve used this item myself in exactly the same situation and it performed brilliantly

No experience of other items so can’t comment but, it’s not simply a primer you want

7. LEH

LEH Active Member

I find when painting over Gardz that it's a little bit too good at its job of sealing, you seem to end up pushing the paint around on top of it, if that makes sense. Found it a bit weird. There's another Zinsser product - Drywall Pro 2 in 1 which does the same job but has a white base like a primer, however I have not used it myself.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Keep it simple and cost effective.

9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Wallrock fibre liner paper isn't too bad to use and can hide a bit. It takes lots of paint though. What I found is that grooves for cables that were not filled flush could show through. Might be something to do with drying rates but I'm told that a tiny smear of easifill would have fixed that. I used a scrubable emulsion on it initially, Leylands to make it even more robust. The white is a bit off white so may well use something else on top of it or same by a different maker in another colour.

I have one section of wall that is seriously all over the place and previous repair replaster problems as well. I've found that 2 typical plasterers can't fix that sort of thing. They are ok if everything is basically flat. Both get plenty of work. Fortunately the papering had been done by a pro to hide the mess. Easy strip and an adhesive that comes of easily just damped down after the main paper is removed - just scrapes off. I'd try that if I was you, use a mist sprayer. Spray on till it runs, leave for a few mins and then scrape spraying again as needed. Best way to work paper off in the first place by spraying in where the scaper has been. Or steam maybe but too much will loosen plaster.

I've done a lot of filling with easi fill. Wonderful stuff but it does shrink a bit. As mentioned once done and painted you may find more needs doing or even before that when it's sanded down. It can be heart breaking and go on for ever. Trouble is that the walls may not be flat so filling shows that up. Maybe very flexible sanding pads will help with that. I'm probably going to coat an entire section of wall with it ruling off as I go and then sand the lot. Hire a dry wall sander but I do have a dust extractor. Or maybe use one of those hand sanders that can be linked to the dust extractor.

If you bow out as it turns out to be more difficult than you imagine and get a plasterer in make sure they put enough on or you are likely to have problems if you ever redecorate or even before that if it's way too thin. Ok mist coating is cheap but it may pay to use the stuff Gyproc etc sell to do the same thing. I've found that screwfix bare plaster paint is good for getting an even colour coat on quickly and easily. It's intended to be left for a while to allow the plaster to breath but could just be used to obtain an even colour for further painting. Water based paints these days often aren't that opaque. Some people leave it as they like the white it leaves. ;) I probably will on a ceiling.

John
    -

10. Grumpygrizzler

Cheers for the advice, will take a look