Economy 7 meter

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by goldwise, Jan 13, 2021.

1. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

When I moved into this house it had an economy 7 meter. Don't know why as it had full gas central heating via combi boiler.

When the meter was updated, the replacement was an economy 7 one, even though I was on a single rate electric supply.

Every time I switch supplier I have to state that I have dual readings on an economy 7 meter but don't have the day/night rates. I'm charged the same rate for each reading.

Does anyone know why the meter wasn't changed to reflect the single rate? Is there a technical reason? And, if I switch to a smart meter, is it expected that this dual reading will continue? (Please don't debate smart meters, I'm a luddite when it comes to them).

2. SIRJOHN19

SIRJOHN19 Active Member

If a 2 rate meter is fitted and then somebody requests a standard single rate meter, it is quite normal for them to just add readings together. There is a Total reading on it too so that’s the same. Mine is one such meter. They will fit/programme meter to suit your tariff IF you want a smart meter.

3. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Mine doesn't have a total reading on it. It has R1, R2, End as I work through display. It's not something to do with the wiring that meant it was replaced with another economy 7 meter then?

More than once (in the early days of switching) an error was made when I switched supplier and they put me on economy 7 but corrected the bill when I pointed it out. Thankfully this hasn't happened for many years but I still monitor the switching process carefully.

4. SIRJOHN19

SIRJOHN19 Active Member

The only thing that could be additionally connected to your meter (if timer built in) is control for off peak heating and as you have said that you only have gas heating that is highly unlikely. I would be inclined to think that the operative who fitted the replacement meter was lacking.....well you guess. A picture of meter area would be good.