ecv Let-by or nothing to worry about?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by yetanothermike, Jun 12, 2024.

1. So I've got use of an old Kane 455 which is still well within its latest calibration. I got a rise from 8.90 to 8.94 over 60 seconds. Its not a one off - all the tests are similar. I can't really see any change on my U gauge either (even with my reading glasses on).

Question is should I call 0800111999 or whatever it is or will they laugh at me for wasting their time? I also don't particularly want to make up a story along the lines of "....the GasSafe engineer told me he couldn't work on the system until the ECV is rectified...."

To pre-empt the what-the-hell-are-you doing questions I'm happy to answer if I get an honest answer to the above. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read.

2. My first question is: are you competent/qualified to work on gas? ECV let by does need to be reported as you couldn’t confirm if there was a drop. Testing of let-by is basic ACS stuff hence me asking my 1st question

3. ESPlumb

ESPlumb Member

If you have a difference of 0.04 mbar over 60 seconds then the let by test is fine. No gas engineer would report that as a problem to the service provider

yetanothermike likes this.
  4. Yes, massive well done. Meanwhile, I know what to do as a gas engineer, wanted to know if you’re qualified before answering o_O