Edging furniture board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Apr 29, 2022.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Has anyone cut down a white mirror gloss furniture board and re edged it on site? Got some bespoke hallway sliding cupboards to do.

2. Hausfix

Hausfix Well-Known Member

Yes, I’ve many years experience cutting and edging panels both in my factory and on site. Happy to give some advice and tips if you require, anything in particular that’s concerning you?

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. John Bunyan

WGreatOTE="Hausfix, post: 2014301, member: 271720"]Yes, I’ve many years experience cutting and edging panels both in my factory and on site. Happy to give some advice and tips if you require, anything in particular that’s concerning you?[/QUOTE]
    Great. Thanks. Yes please.
    I wasn't sure if it was possible to be honest.
    I've only got a Makita plunge saw so I'm guessing if I cut face down and set it on scribe first (about 2mm)?
    And what type of edging is available? Plastic is probably best yes?
    Trimmer and finished with a file if needed?
    What do you stick edging on with?

4. Hausfix

Ok, on the assumption that your description ‘white mirror gloss’ is simply high gloss white. Generally high gloss white will be a vinyl wrapped MDF or chipboard panel and not the tougher melamine faced chipboard that is more commonly described as furniture board. This being the case, the panel will probably have a matt white melamine back face and a glossy front face which is carried over the edges.
    Be aware that the glossy face is just a glued on layer and not nearly as well attached as the melamine back face. You can still successfully cut this panel, but need a very sharp blade to avoid chipping. With a plunge saw, cut with the back face upwards and do a very shallow (0.25mm deep) scribing pass first, then follow through with a full depth cut the second pass.
    You will need to source a matching edgebanding, but being gloss, you won’t be able to use pre glued iron-on tape. Don’t use melamine tape, try and source ABS plastic or PVC tape as they will trim much easier especially working with the softer vinyl outer wrap. I use a company call Ney in Coventry for my edgebanding supplies.
    You will then need to stick the edgebanding on with contact adhesive, Evostick 528 is my preferred type. Then trim the excess with a sharp Stanley knife, and finish with a Stanley scraper and 180 grit sandpaper to de nib any rough edges. Any nicks, chips or mistakes can be corrected with a white Liberon repair wax stick.
    If you’ve got information about the actual panel you intend using, I may be able to offer more specific advice.

John Bunyan and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. Hausfix

If the job has the budget, I’d suggest custom made vinyl wrapped panels to avoid any problems. Also happy to point you in the right direction where to obtain these at the best prices.

John Bunyan likes this.
  6. John Bunyan

Hi, I've decided not to cut and edge myself.
    I'm thinking of doing the frame then measuring up for doors and ordering to exact size.
    The cupboard will have 4 doors. 2 at top and 2 at bottom. All sliding.
    Cupboard goes from floor to ceiling.
    Overall dimensions are 2375 high x 1565 wide x 335 deep.
    I'm trying to find some simple sliding door gear that I saw a few months back.
    Please could you put me onto some furniture board suppliers for the carcass and doors?
    Thanks

Hausfix likes this.
  7. Hausfix

I’d recommend a company called ‘Cutwrights’ for the cutting and panel edging. They are based near Twickenham.
    For custom made wardrobe and kitchen doors, a company called BA Components in Cookstown, Northern Ireland is my supplier. They do sliding doors too if my memory serves me right.

John Bunyan likes this.
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

A second for BA components. Their Bella and Zurfiz ranges can be manufactured in any size, and are not expensive. You need to find a local agent who is happy to sort you a few doors. I use https://discountkitchenfactory.co.uk/ and they pop the hinge holes on themselves wherever you want them.

Rosso and John Bunyan like this.
  9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Hotdoors are good foe any kind of panel too, Bishops Stortford based.