Egg almost on my face.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by devil's advocate, Apr 17, 2009.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Doing an 'egg drop' challenge over t'half term with family and sis-in-law.

Anyways, since I - comprehensively - won the previous challenge with a completely fantastic design, I decided to merely watch the proceedings on this occasion.

Sis-in-law's design had a cardboard 'helicopter' on top which was meant to slow down its decent. By 'helicopter' I mean a sheet of card around 1 1/2' long by 1' wide which has been cut part-way down t'middle with each resulting leaf being folded in opposite directions. When dropped, it rotates.

(Ok, egg suffered a cracked shell, but hey.)

I then mentioned to her that it would have been more effective if the two leaves had been positioned opposite each-other instead of off-set so's it wouldn't actually spin, but simply act as the best possible parachute. Ok, the 'leaves' would probably have to be held in place (horizontal) using a thread so's they wouldn't just fold up, but it would still be better at slowing the egg's decent than the spinning design which would be effectively 'cutting' its way through the air more than 'my' idea.

She was not convinced.

2. ­

­ New Member

Helicopters frighten my peacocks

3. Norbert Crust

Norbert Crust New Member

Unbelievable, DA. How could she not be convinced? Is she slow witted?