eggsplosion

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by benny, Oct 22, 2004.

1. benny

benny Guest

I work for a small engineering company producing unusual small low batch sort of stuff,we have just been asked to produce a " egg blowing machine" Able to blow Half dozen at a time using compressed air,rubber suction cups,air regulators etc.What pressure do you think we need to blow out the inside of the egg through a 2mm hole? the eggs are first pierced each end on a separate fixture.The shells are to be supplied to a local craft shop.

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Benny,

Going back to my childhood days I recall that blowing eggs took varied pressure as the white and yolks were a different viscosity. So as you blew you could feel the back pressure and increase your puff. I would think that too high a pressure would have a tendency to crack out the exit hole so compressed air might probably be too high.

I would think something like a foot control could be used as in this way you could have some control over the flow/pressure on the eggs but as each egg is slightly different this could also make it tricky to find the correct pressure.

Have you thought about selling the 'waste' egg mix to a baker?

Sorry I could not be too eggsact in my reply but I am sure you will get many eggsellent replies too this thread.

DWD

3. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

Can you 'blow' one end and 'pump' from the other in order to reduce the amount of pressure at any one end of the egg?

4. multiskilled

multiskilled New Member

Can you scramble the egg at the same time as you put the holes into the shell?
    I think that would cure the different viscosities problem and make blowing at a low pressure possible.

5. Markybob

Markybob New Member

To make it fun, I would have thought trial and error to be the way forward, after all, whats the worst that could happen!! :)

6. h'andy

h'andy Member

can you suck the white/yolk out using a syringe with a hollow needle?

7. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi again Benny,

Picking up on Multiskills point you could use a bit of wire on a drill to scramble the egg in the shell. This would help eliminate the different viscosity problem so that you would only need a set pressure to blow the egg. Something using a bike pump maybe?

DWD

8. benny

benny Guest

I believe that the egyptians used a similar method to remove the brain during mummification.

9. building control

building control New Member

how old are you?

10. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

I saw a machine years ago on "HOW" that did this. (when Jack Hargreaves did it !)

A pin on an angle went in the end of the egg span round which whisked the egg.

Then they took out the egg out and sucked the mixture.

11. harry

harry Member

You could always get your grandmother to do it.

12. young_handyman

young_handyman New Member

benny, you have given me hope. your job sounds exactly like what i want to do, i dont want to end up as a standard engineer designing washing machines or random electronic circuits.

13. benny

benny Guest

Good man,let your imagination run wild,then work out how it all fits together!

14. Are you sure you're not Prof Hans Wolf trying to resurrect a flagging TV career? :)

Mudster

15. Make that Heinz Wolf.....I'll get my coat.......

16. dutch1200

dutch1200 New Member

hi benny
    you may have already sorted this problem but this may help. Snap on make a pressure/vacuum tool for testing
    egr valves and it comes with various attachments, one which looks like the sucker off a kids arrow,you can vacuum or blow the egg very gently no problem (tried and tested!) doing half a dozen at a time may be the tricky bit.

17. crisp

crisp Member

I see no reason why you cant use compressed air as long as you use a regulator in the line to reduce the pressure. I work for an Industrial gas supplier and when we want low pressure we just regulate it down

Crisp