Elastilon, Instalay, Diall? What is the best adhesive underlay?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Cat on a mission, May 23, 2020.

1. Cat on a mission

Cat on a mission New Member

Hi all

I have a thirties house with original T&G redwood pine flooring (sanded back ready to varnish).

I have knocked through and recently converted the adjacent garage into living space.

It has a newly laid concrete base with a DPM and a layer of SLC on top.

It is big, about 70m2

I have matching new redwood T&G (currently acclimatising), so the new flooring matches the old, and all “flows” from the original house to the new bit.

Given the room size & concrete base, obvious option is to glue down the T&G.

But - I have read about Elastilon and other makes of adhesive underlay, with some positive reviews on here.

It claims to be easy once you get the hang of it, less messy, and flexes with the floor to accommodate natural expansion / contraction.

Does anyone have experience of more than one type of this stuff, and have a preference for which is best? Never come across it before now.

Also, I don’t see THAT many suppliers, which suggests it might not be as good as it is made out to be, if there aren’t many stockists....??

Grateful for any experience and recos.

Thanks!

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I have used Elastilon a number of times and always found it very successful. It is easy once you get going but don’t rush the start line and make sure you follow the instructions re peeling back. The most difficult issue is finishing off as there is little room to remove the backing as you lay the last row of boards and also when you’re dealing with undercut architraves.

3. Cat on a mission

Cat on a mission New Member

Thank you, ramseyman!

The architraves and skirtings are not on, yet, so if I leave those til afterwards, that will leave it clearer and with a little more (skirting board) space for the last bit - good tip.

Do you recommend any particular supplier?

There only seem to be a handful in the UK for Elastilon, the other makes seem a bit more available, but I want to choose a good one, so I will hunt down Elastilon if you reckon it is a reliable choice.

Thank you!