Electric boiler capacity?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by rbrian, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Another consideration is that electric prices are rocketing. When I come to renew next month it’s looking like rates will have doubled in the last 24 months for me (12p to 24p day rate).

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

As a sideline to the main topic, the reason you have seen such a huge rise (apart from general energy price rise to offset lower demand by gas and oil producing countries) )is the introduction of the price cap last October. Prior to this many smaller and new entrants to the energy market, often discounted heavily, selling close to the wholesale rate to gain business. For people who chose to change every year good bargains were there to be had. Even before the cap many went to the wall as these deep discounts were unsustainable and the business model was based on gaining numbers to offset wafer thin margins.

introduction of the cap meant almost all companies set their prices very close to this, shaving a few tenth of pennies to get ahead in comparison charts. For people who chopped and changed this is a rude shock ! I know a few people who got a shock when their two year deal ended this month.

Jimbo likes this.
  3. rbrian

rbrian Member

Gas prices are also rocketing. One of the best investments you can make is insulation - my house is already pretty good, and increasing it would mean significant expense and disruption. That's also why I'm not overly bothered about electricity prices, my house doesn't take much energy to heat. For the same reason, it also doesn't use that much gas, so perhaps I can get better results by investing elsewhere... Either way I'm going to put this on the back burner for a while, and concentrate on paying off my mortgage so I have more disposable income. In a couple of years, hopefully there will be more and better options.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/20/why-are-gas-prices-so-high-in-the-uk-and-are-they-rising-15287056/