Electric boiler service report

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jogey, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Jogey

Jogey New Member

Hi All,

Newbie here. I have just had a service report for an electric boiler as follows:

"SERVICE COMPLETED.

04/05/2021

AMP READING (CLAMP METER) 12.6

EARTH CONTINUITY CHECK 0

EARTH LOOP IMPEDANCE PASS

L TO N 240

POLARITY CORRECT YES

GSIUR Dangerous appliance ID NO

SAFE FUNCTIONING CHECK COMPLETED YES

APPLIANCE OPERATIONAL YES

APPLIANCE STATUS SAFE TO USE"

I am a general builder not an electrician so could I please ask whether all the readings in the above report are OK or are any of them cause for concern. Thanks.

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Looks fine, the overall assessment is safe to use, can't get better than that!

3. Jogey

Jogey New Member

Brilliant thanks Tony

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

All looks good.

5. Jogey

Jogey New Member

Thanks Seneca

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Seems a little odd, normally one would enter figures so 0.15Ω or less than 0.01Ω i.e. lowest reading on the earth look impedance meter for Earth Continuity Check, or with inspection and testing of in-service electrical equipment (PAT testing) where portable simple pass, as reading will change depending where it is plugged in, but earth look impedance and earth continuity check are really the same thing, there is a idea that if readings are recorded then it will show a trend, so if it gets higher each year you can see some thing is slowly degrading, however also there is a point that most owners would not understand the results, so better to just put down pass or fail.

The old PIR (periodic inspection report) had a code 4 which was does not comply with current edition of the regulations, but this was dropped around same time as name changed EICR (electrical installation condition report) as it was considered referring to regulations which did not even need complying with since they are all dated as to design date and one is not required to upgrade to current edition was confusing, and all that was needed was to point out dangerous, potentially dangerous, and recommended upgrades, it did not help referring the owner to the regulation. However modern forms do seem to have returned to listing regulations breached again.

But in the main inspectors like to enter readings, this is really a watch my back thing, saying to the court "The reading was 0.68Ω well within the required minimum." sounds a lot better than "The PAT tester pass light came on." even if the pass light will only come on if the reading is within the limits. The reading makes the court think a meter was used, the pass comment could mean a drive by inspection.

The same with a client, 6 A4 sheets makes it look as if a really good inspection has been done, a sticker with PASS on it and testers signature one questions was it really tested? But both say "APPLIANCE STATUS SAFE TO USE" so what is the point is storing extra paperwork?

7. Jogey

Jogey New Member

Thanks MGW

8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Something of nothing is the phrase that comes to mind.

A bit meaningless.

9. Jim Kirk

Jim Kirk New Member

What a load of old Tosh.

What is the purpose of the report - safety or function - what about water temperature and the Legionaire test.

The 12.6A is the 3KW elemant possibly of an immersion heater or tea urn. Even the most basic electric boiler the intantaneous shower requires 6KW and a full house electric boiler requires 18-24KW.

Is it a fixed or moveable appliance?

An earth coninuity value of 0 is very worrying and there is no such result as "pass" on a earth loop impedance test

If you want an electrical safety report you need an "Electrical Condition Report sponsored by a recognised body NICEC/ECA etc. Although there are dedicated electrical certificate for gas boiler I have never seen a dedicated one for an electric boiler.

I'm afraid the piece of paper which you have - if you have it is worthless and these results would not stand up in any litigation

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I assume the Earth continuity is testing that the CPC is continuous.
    I think I would word that as: “Continuity of Protective Conductor”.

I assume the Earth Loop Impedance is in fact R1+R2.
    I would be more worried about Insulation Resistance.

Bit concerned that the first item tested is the current under load.
    I would have left that until after I’d checked the CPC continuity and the IR.
    Recording the values for those tests would be beneficial for determining whether anything is deteriorating.

Polarity is likely to be an issue, as there’s likely to be a fuse and switching.

What is a GISUR Dangerous Appliance, and why is a dangerous appliance being used?

Would like more clarification on how the safe functioning check was conducted.
    Is it just a functional test with Safe added to big it up?
    If so, why repeat with the statement, that the device is operational?