Electric Cooker help needed!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Metadreamer, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:32 PM.

1. Metadreamer

Metadreamer New Member

Hi I am moving into a flat with nothing and it has a special cooker plug socket in the kitchen with he red switch in it.
    I decided to get a used electric cooker as they are cheaper and I thought I can just plug it in to specially designed socket.

I bought one off a guy who said it has a plug but it turns out it just has a wire that looks like it went into the wall direct possibly as the 3 inner wires are thicker than on something you would fit a regular plug too and have several thick copper wires inside each of those.

SO.. Am I gonna have to pay someone after all to hardwire this into my wall or is there a plug that takes these thicker wires to go into a cooker socket??

I think I know the answer but thought I’d check. Thanks in advance any experts :)

2. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Cookers need to be wired in. Doesn't usually take too long <1hr

3. Metadreamer

Metadreamer New Member

Oh thanks so much for the speedy response. Is that likely to cost much do you think?
    Also what is the special cooker socket for please?
    Thankyou!

4. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

You will have something that looks like this on the wall
    upload_2019-12-2_22-42-11.png

The socket is just a normal socket and the cooker switch controls the cooker

There is usually a plate like this
    upload_2019-12-2_22-44-33.png
    behind the wire to the cooker is connected.

5. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

If no problems should only be a hour, so anything between £35 and £95 (or more) depending on where you are in the country.

6. Metadreamer

Metadreamer New Member

Oh Thankyou so very much that explains it all. There is a white plate like that behind the cooker. Gonna cost more than I thought but at least I know not to stick a plug on it! The housing association staff told me that’s what the socket was for!!
    Thanks again