Electric in to the summerhouse

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by scojototo, Oct 8, 2019.

  1. scojototo

    scojototo New Member

    hi guys, looking to put electric in to my summerhouse, its 12metre in total from the mains in the house to the summer house, I no I need to dig it underground but not sure what size of cable I would need to get me there, also plan on having 4 double sockets in the place and 4 Led downlights, just not sure on what cable again, is just a basic ring the easiest way to do the sockets ? is just 2.5mm and 1.5mm the best cable ? and will I need a mini electric box in the summerhouse, I wont be connecting this up, will be my mate whos a qualified electrictian, but is working offshore and wont be back for 3 weeks, was just looking to run the cables so can get it finished a bit quicker, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  2. Bazza

    Bazza Screwfix Select

    The first and biggest question:

    These 4 double sockets, whatcwill you be running off those?
    Heater? Spa Tub? Mig welder?

    Need to know the expected maximum current requirement. That will be the first step.

    Second question: what type of supply do you have? TT, TN-S, TNC-S??
  3. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

    I would look to run a 6mm cable, which will be sufficient for most conceivable future uses, I always use 6 or 10mm for outbuildings, the cost difference is not huge and you will never need to worry about it again.

    At the house end bring the cable up near the consumer unit, allowing enough slack for it to be routed directly into the consumer unit if possible.

    At the summer house end leave enough slack for it to reach the mini CU position.

    Use 3 core cable to allow for an earth if you opt for 10mm, at 6mm the armour can be used as earth, your electrician will make the decision whether to export the earth or make the summerhouse a TT system (with it's own earth) having the extra core gives him the latitude to take that decision based on his technical judgement and knowledge of the supply.

    Ultimately at the summer house you will have a Mini Consumer unit with a radial for the sockets, a radial for the lights, and possibly extra circuits like a pond fountain, water feature, garden lights as required.

Share This Page