Electric oven fault

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Blueye, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Blueye

Blueye New Member

got an electric AEG built in oven and it’s switched off.

I’ve taken the back off and checked the elements, all of which are fine.
    Sprayed a bit of non conductive switch cleaner on switches replaced everything and started working again for two days until today.

The oven was set to 250c and cut off again. The clock in the middle is still functioning but the lights on the dials show no life until the oven cools down then it works as normal again.

I’m still getting a click on the tempreture side dial which makes me think the thermostat is still working?

The two days it was working I used the oven on a lower temperature around 150c and was working fine, could the higher heat cause it to turn off.

Or can it still be a damaged thermostat or something else, would I still be getting a click?

Any help would be appreciated

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

the oven is set too high try at 200 the thermal cut out is operating and disconnecting the power.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes the overheat 'stat is probably faulty and is cutting out at too low a temperature.

4. Blueye

Blueye New Member

So if it’s not cutting out at 200 but it is cutting out at 250 it’s the thermostat?
    Even though it’s working correctly at a lower temp?

Sorry I’ve just check the dial it actually cut out at 200 but has been working fine around 100-150.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

The overheat 'stat is a separate item from the thermostat itself and is a safety item which cuts the power if the main thermostat doesn't cut off for some reason. The safety 'stat is set at a higher temperature than the regular thermostat so that it only cuts out in the event of a fault causing excessively high temperature but they do sometimes fail and cut off at too low a temperature.

6. Blueye

Blueye New Member

Ahh I see, so it could be either thermostat?
    Can I test both by using continuity test?

7. Alster

Alster Member

It’s probably cutting out on the overheat thermostat because the cooling fan isn’t cutting in. A lot of AEG ovens have a thermal switch that turns on the cooling fan and the switch fails so the oven casing gets too hot. The switch is a little ‘blob’with 4 wires going into it near the switch. Not saying that this is you’re problem but it’s quite a common fault on these. Make sure the oven is isolated from the mains before you start!!!

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Blueye

Blueye New Member

82302A57-DE82-434B-8CE9-6CD5C60CE1E4.jpeg Is this the switch?

Thanks alster, I’ve noticed that the knobs are quite hot too touch when the oven cuts out which might coincide with what your saying. Is there a way to test this switch?.

9. Blueye

Blueye New Member

CFBAE2FD-C49C-4A18-AEE8-8B2FBA7D0F92.jpeg My oven has this cut out switch too, could it be this one?

10. Alster

Alster Member

Yes that’s the switch. It would be very unlikely the cut out is faulty. If you’re cooling fan is not siezed or open circuit and doesn’t come on after a few minutes it’s going to be the thermal switch.

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

We have an AEG with an intermittent cooling fan fault - very occasionally it stays on after the oven is turned off. Have a replacement switch but haven't fitted it yet. When you power up the oven, after a minute or so, you should be able to feel a draft coming out above the door. If you can't the cooling fan isn't working.

12. Blueye

Blueye New Member

26DD4888-B60F-4B63-AD94-BD2BEB0854D3.jpeg If you can see in the pictures There is a little bit of solder that seems like it’s disconnected, so hoping this is the fault. I’ll update if this fixes the problem.

99A19801-ACFF-43E6-A08D-98AB12D8E3DB.jpeg Thanks guys, I’ve just ordered this switch but is there a curtain way round these wires go, two blue two white but no marking on which way round they go.

13. Alster

Alster Member

As long as you replace blue for blue and white for white it doesn’t matter which way round they go.

14. Blueye

Blueye New Member

Great, thanks very much alster you’ve been a great help.

15. Blueye

Blueye New Member

Mr rusty, having read a few posts on various websites researching my problem I saw people with what your discribing and I think the fan should stay on after the oven is switch off to keep it cooling down. I might be wrong but it’s what I’ve seen elsewhere.

Also yes I haven’t checked to see if the fan was working before I pulled the switch to pieces, I will do that after new switch is installled, thanks.

16. Mr Rusty

It should - but not for hours. :) I got the new switch when it was still running next morning. Hasn't done it since.........

17. Blueye

Blueye New Member

Ahh I see! Ha typical :)

18. Mr Rusty

Y, one of those special faults which disappears as soon as you buy the repair part..........

19. Blueye

Blueye New Member

Don’t worry, as soon as you have mislaid the switch the problem will be straight back :)

20. Blueye

Blueye New Member

Fitted the thermal switch today and oven is working perfect.
    Thanks Alster and everyone else for helping me. :)

Alster likes this.