Electric shower cutting out

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jenson, Aug 11, 2018 at 6:49 PM.

1. Jenson

Jenson New Member

I’m getting very frustrated now. I’m on my fourth electric shower in 18 years at our property and all of them have cut out and tripped out at the circuit board too. Shower number four is brand new and only installed two weeks ago but it has just done the same! Before we installed the latest shower, an electrician came to check out our wiring and said no problem running an 8.5 kw shower but it has always tripped out in main bathroom. We have run an 8.5 successfully in our ensuite for 18 years with no problem but can’t get the same success in the main bathroom which other members of the family use. This new shower of two weeks is actually a 7.5kw and it has just tripped the circuit too. I’m at a loss where to turn next. Any advice/help! Many thanks.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

You have swapped the tripping breaker haven't you? Of course you have because not doing so would be daft beyond all reason.

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Trace the cable run.
    look for connections.
    check the pull cord/isolation switch.
    check supply voltage.
    new mcb.
    install new cct to allow you to use 10kw shower.
    I can pee hotter than a 7.5 kw shower unit.
    RS

4. fire

fire Well-Known Member

If you had been running a 8.5kw shower on a 32Amp braker with 6mm2 cable(which is fine i might add) then it will ware the breakers bimetallic strip out. The 8.5kw shower will run about 38Amps from a 32Amp breaker and would be constantly getting warm every time you use the shower, eventually the specs of the braker will start to degrade.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

For that reason a 40 amp mcb is more appropriate for 8.5kW, subject to wiring installation method of course!

fire likes this.
  6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes don't spend a tenner on a new mcb. Thats just ridiculous. Just keep buying new showers every few years. Then blame the wiring.

7. collectors

collectors Member

As above, it sounds like the circuit needs a good service/check over & mini upgrade. New 40 amp mcb new wall/pull switch. Materials around £20 plus the labour of 1 hour.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member