electric shower gone cold.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by surfermick, Jul 29, 2013.

1. surfermick

surfermick New Member

my girlfriends shower has gone cold, it has a cold feed pipe, an on off cord for use and a choice of cold/warm/hot water with another up and down temperature controller. it has started running just cold. i have checked all wiring and all seems good, the red light comes on when you pull the cord. any idea's ? is it the thermostat thats blown. i wouldn't replace it myself because im not qualified and wouldnt want the responsibility with her and the kids using it. but i dont want to call a plumber out if its a real simple thing. hopeful with thanks

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Firstly, try to 'kickstart' it into action. Pressure actions can get stuck.

Turn it to lowest temp, highest pressure from hose. Using the on/off at the shower unit, rapidly turn on and off 10 to 15 times.

Turn to high temp, lowest pressure, see if starts heating.

Just a beginning test(dismantling will be the next stage), which I won't guide you into, not being a plumber or an electrician.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. surfermick

surfermick New Member

thanks Andy, i will try that first tomorrow, i can see a theory behind what you are saying.

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Well-Known Member

Putting cold water through it at high speed is a good tip from Andy.

Check the shower head too (the wrong type can cause this problem).

What make of shower is it?

Worth having a good thunb through the instruction booklet most electric showers have some kind of thermal cut out device that could have been triggered.

Won't be the thermostat though, electric showers don't have them (temp' is controlled by the speed of the water flowing through the unit).

Tappy,

5. surfermick

surfermick New Member

thanks Crowsfoot, i will also see if she has a manual. a thermo cut out sounds cheaper than a new shower.