electric shower heater wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bkked, Nov 14, 2019.

1. bkked

bkked New Member

shower.PNG hi there, first off, im a noob...but a noob with determination!!

this is possibly the 3rd or even 3rd daftest question i have asked in my fee years on this planet but here we go...

i have an 'Instantaneous shower water heater' manufactured by Stiebel Eltron... this one https://bit.ly/2XfptZK

4.5kw

My Question
    can i wire this directly into a wire with a plug on it and plug this into a socket, or must it go via a breaker to my main fuse box.

sidenote: i live in Thailand, the electrics here are...ermmmm....dodgy to say the least

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance for anyones time, i have included a pic of the guts of it! excuse the lighting

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

in the UK no 4.5kw exceeds 13A. if where you live there are no rules then anything goes i guess...

bkked likes this.
  3. bkked

bkked New Member

thanks for the super quick reply! whats the worst that can happen? are we talking fire/atom bomb sort fo disaster, or the fuse box with trip?

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

ok do i don't know the voltage in thailand - guess 220v so that means 20A - you need to make sure that every element of the curcuit is 20A or higher rates. That means cable, plug, socket fuse/mcb, else you'll overload something: melt/fire etc

bkked likes this.
  5. bkked

bkked New Member

Thanks so much for your insight and time. Ill do some more research but may result in hiring a professional, seems like the most sensible thing to do. thanks again, you have answered questions i spent hours looking around the internet for.