Electric to kitchen island

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mphksh, Aug 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM.

1. Mphksh

Mphksh New Member

So building new house with concrete pad and in floor heating. When pad was When p poured there was no electric 2 the location of kitchen island. We had planned on doing a Polish concrete for flooring. Wondering if there's a way to get Electric to that Island without chipping a path through the concrete. I also do not want 2 have a pillar coming down from the ceiling in the middle of the room. Any thoughts?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Without sounding difficult my thoughts would be that you should have planned out your services better.

Sorry to be harsh but its true

3. goldenboy

Or a Star Trek Teleporter?

4. goldenboy

Problem solved.

Fix the island unit to the ceiling upside down and run everything up there.

Will be awkward making drinks and stuff though.

But an anti-gravity device would solve that.

5. goldenboy

Funniest one I have ever seen was when I was fitting a handmade kitchen in a small cottage. Kitchen was maybe 1800mm x 2700mm.

I marked the units out on the concrete floor so the tiler could lay the underfloor heating mats and self level over it.

So marked out 600mm all the way round the walls.

Come back and the guy has laid the mats where the units are and left the tiny area in the middle clear and levelled it over. Said he thought it was a weird island unit and he had wondered how the water and waste were going to be run to it.

Had to pull it all out. Very messy.

6. Mphksh

Mphksh New Member

No ****

7. Mphksh

Mphksh New Member

Now anyway out there have any good arvice

8. goldenboy

What on how to run services to an island unit without disturbing the floor or coming down from the ceiling?

Do you have a cellar?

If the answer is yes then run it in there.

If the answer is no then put a cellar in.

9. goldenboy

Or build the island unit around a generator? Good chippie will be able to disguise it.

10. goldenboy

I wonder who did the planning for this kitchen?

11. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Member

May be ask the fairies to do it in the night on a serious note you are stumped possible take up floor make channel in the floor not to deep to avoid underfloor heating and it maybe there is a chance of a clear area
    And retile descritly. Problem then is the cable getting hot and needing protection . I am not a cable exspertese but there may be cable in the field that is suitable for high temp and then sort out some mechanical protecting only problem then is if metal protection or armoured cable
    Heat may build up . Only a suggestion best for me is drop a featur e unit or such like from the ceiling this is the best and easiest way out

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

If you like actually cooking in your kitchen, islands are a carp idea anyway. Who wants to go round and round a roundabout. If you want some more surface, use a freestanding table. I have not been in a kitchen yet with an island, which wouldn't have been better without one. Think about it. When cooking you want nice direct route between worktop, cooker, fridge and sink. If those routes are blocked by a stupid island you just end up doing a dance all the time.

Rulland likes this.
  13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Incompetent buffoon.

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

If that's aimed at me, I 100% stand by my opinion. Unless its really a peninsula/room divider (where the far side of the island is actually a space with a different use) IMHO an island is a monstrous thing. If you try and put things under it like inbuild fridges, cupboards and drawers etc, you have to go round and round the island to get to anything. If you try adding seating, they are usually really uncomfortable either perched on stools or with nowhere to put your knees, if there's 2 of you in the kitchen the gap between the island and the outer units is often too small. My experience is that most folks would do better designing around the traditional work triangle.

ramseyman likes this.
  15. goldenboy

I would agree with this. Would much rather have flexible space rather than a ark royal sized island.

Peninsular sections are much better. They help to create space and usefulness rather than diminish it.

16. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Sorry @Mphksh I have no suggestions - you are stuffed, unless you can invent wireless electricity.

This may give you some hope

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

17. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

You need a car battery, 12v to 240v inverter and a battery charger. When the battery runs down take the battery out and recharge it.

Alternatively fit a small solar panel in the kitchen

18. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Probably a large solar panel! What if they want a cup of tea when it’s dark?

19. goldenboy

And invite the sun in too!

20. What is going to be powered on this Island of yours? If low power only then this idea would work and actually quite practical I reckon