Electric towel rail (radiator) currently running off a 3 pin plug

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dan_B, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Dan_B

Dan_B New Member

Morning all,

the house we bought has an electric towel radiator in the bathroom - it's fairly small, and won't accommodate the three towels we use regularly as a household.

The current element is 300w, and rather than being wired into it's own dedicated sosket, a hole has been drilled through the wall, and it is then wired into a standard 3 pin plug, and plugged into a wall socket - I've added a wireless timer thing from Tapo so I can set when it comes on etc, and it's proved very reliable, and no issues electric wise that I can tell in the not inconsiderable time we have been using it like this.

The replacement I am thinking of is this one, which comes with a 900w element:
    https://ukradiators.com/zennor-anth...x-w600mm-straight-900w-thermostatic-wifi.html

My ideal would be to replace like for like, so I can complete it all myself, but if you guys/gals say this will be unsafe, then I'll get an electrician in to sort it out for us.
    If it's not 100% safe, is there anything I can do to make it viable, ie maybe replace the socket in the bedroom with an RCD one?

The main house fuseboard was only replaced at the end of 2020 (Due to a new extension) so is very much up to date, and fit for purpose.

What would have to happen if we did need a permanent socket, would it be a case of them having to wire down directly to the fuseboard, or could they tap into the existing upstairs wiring?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Dan_B

Dan_B New Member

Just to add, as it might not be clear, the wire is routed though the wall from the bathroom into the adjoining main bedroom, where it is currently plugged into a Tap wireless plug thing, and then into a wall socket.

There are no 3 pin sockets in our bathroom, although I note that most other countries do seem to allow this.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the socket protected by an RCD ?
    900 watt can be run from a plug ,but connecting to a fused connection unit would be the norm for a fixed appliance in a bathroom.
    As far as I can recall there is no regulation that prevents it from being run from a plug in an adjoining room,but I am happy to be corrected

Cliff Rees and Dan_B like this.
  4. Dan_B

Dan_B New Member

Hey Terry, the new and upgraded fuseboard fitted in 2020 I am positive will provide RCD protection in that respect, I was just asking if an additional one within the specific socket would be more safe, I guess if there was an issue it would just trip that socket rather than the entire house.

I'm 99% certain the standard for regulations would be to have a fixed connection within the bathroom.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No point in having an RCD socket when the circuit is protected by an RCD at the consumer unit.
    There is no such regulation regarding where the towel rail should be connected ,only where sockets ,switches etc must not be sited in bathrooms / zones where they are not permitted.

Dan_B likes this.
  6. Dan_B

Dan_B New Member

Thankyou Terry, that clears things up for me :)

7. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Guest

If its RCD'd at the board you don't need another one. No reason why you cant have it next door. How many toilets have light switches outside, shower switches or fan switches outside? With regulations stating these switches should be outside in many instances. Nothing stopping you putting in a switched spur in the bedroom through to an cable outlet to tidy it up? Finishing it correctly is always a benefit but does mean a little more work :)

Nice radiator by the way :)

upload_2022-2-25_4-34-42.png

8. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The regs are clear on the
    It might be helpful to re-read Section 701 of the current wiring regulations. I cannot see any such regulation, but may have missed it, so if you can point me too it that would help. 'Outside' the zones but not outside the room containing the zones.

9. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Guest

Zzzz another muppet who likes to read into what was said.

To the OP there is simply nothing wrong with what you have stated. I offered you an alternative solution to tidy it up and make it look a bit more professional. We have no idea of the size of the toilet to which you refer so speaking about zones is pointless and rather silly if I am being honest. Whether or not it is in or out of the zones, the fact remains, MOST switches in a toilet environment are outside the toilet area as condensation etc is a hazard, most good sparks will place switches outside to avoid that. You get the odd pedantic one who likes to try pick fault (I wont mention any names), but generally in the trade setting they are laughed at and brushed aside as being ..... well being a word I wont use on this forum! Imagine working with this bloke. I pity anybody who does!

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

This is a polite forum where we show each other respect. If we disagree then we do it by offering alternative views supported facts or evidence, rather than resort to name calling.