Electric Underfloor Heating Mat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by EMSman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. EMSman

EMSman New Member

Evening Sparks!

I'm wanting to put down this electric UFH mat in a new extension and the existing dining/kitchen that will be incorporated into the new extension to create one large room of about 40 sqm. Everywhere i've looked for this stuff only goes up to about 20 sqm. Does anyone do the mat up to 40sqm or can you connect 2 together etc???

Thanks

2. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

Try www.discountfloorheating.co.uk

You can connect these mats together for larger areas. There is a tech line. It may be worth giving them a ring.

3. lastword

lastword New Member

Yup, you can connect 2 or more mats in parallel to cover any area. BUT, to cover 40sqm you're going to be running 4 - 6 kW (100W/sqm = background, 150W/sqm = comfort heating). That means a dedicated circuit, and a 30Amp contactor controlled by the floor thermostat (usually max 16A). You'll also need to check max load on the CU, not to mention jolly old part P. ;)

4. elastic_trickery

elastic_trickery New Member

........and you can have a lay down on your nice warm floor.....coz.........you'll need it when you get the next leccy bill ;)

5. EMSman

EMSman New Member

Does it cost a lot to run??

6. The Trician

The Trician New Member

It's about the dearest form of heating you can install!

Not to mention having to dig the floor up when it develops a fault - horrid stuff in my opinion.

TT

7. elastic_trickery

elastic_trickery New Member

If you take the heating at the upper estimate (above) of 6kw and a rate per kilowatthour of say 9.5pence. It will cost 57pence an hour to run.

I've always had a rough measure in my mind that electric heating is about twice the cost of gas. Cheaper to install, but you can see from the above that it does not take long to get your money back from the extra expnse of extending the gas system in the house.

Generally I would stick to heating mats for small areas only.

Rich.

8. rafsparkboy

rafsparkboy New Member

and dont forget your `earthed metallic grid ` as regs require.....the cpc in the ufh is not enough !!!
    like we all do of course !!!!!

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Do you mean a matt that lies on top of the floor ,or the real thing,an element embeded in a concrete floor?