Electric water heater for small flat

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John Wiseman, Apr 5, 2020.

1. John Wiseman

John Wiseman New Member

Hi,
    Can anyone help please?
    I've recently purchased a 1 bed flat which has no gas supply, electric only!
    There is no bath, just a shower which is fine.
    Hot water to the sink in the bathroom and the kitchen is via a massive old immersion tank which is all clapped out. In any case I have no need to heat, store and pay for a huge amount of water I'm never going to use.
    All I require is hot water on demand to one basin and one kitchen sink and pipe runs are a metre or less.
    Any advice on which kind of electric water heater would be appreciated thanks and I have a reasonable budget.
    John

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

3. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

4. John Wiseman

John Wiseman New Member

5. John Wiseman

John Wiseman New Member

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It draws a lot of electrical current ,so needs its own radial circuit. Is your shower electric instantaneous ?

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have used 2 of these and am really impressed with them. One is a backup in a rental home I own ... in case the boiler ever packs up. The other is the only source of hot water I have in a granny flat, and it serves a shower, a basin and the kitchen sink. I'm a really chuffed customer of this Redring 12kW heater.

Hfs likes this.
  8. John Wiseman

John Wiseman New Member

Thanks Peter,
    Roger,
    Thanks for your response,
    That's really helpful, somebody with personal experience of them. Is the pressure decent and are they easy to install?
    Regards
    John

9. Crikey you don't want 12kW you really would need a new circuit! I've got a rental with three wash basins and kitchen sink and I put in a 50l unvented which in hindsite is too big and 30l would've easily coped both are 2 or3kW. In your situ I wouldn't go for under sink I would just replace your existing cylinder with a 20l unvented using your existing immersion heater circuit.

10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The pressure is not affected, but the flow is reduced a bit. I have mine set to warm (ECO) rather than hot such that you don't need to add cold water to make the water temperature comfortable. If you have the temp set to max, then the flow is reduced even more. It is still perfectly acceptable, and being 12kW gives you a far better shower than most of the instant water heater showers that I've used (most of which are only around 9kW).

They're very easy to install. Just a 15mm compression input and a 15mm compression output. I used 16mm2 T&E to feed the one, as it was only a couple of metres from the consumer unit, but I used 20mm2 T&E for the other as it was around 10m from the CU. With current draw like they use, it's worth oversizing the cable; otherwise you experience quite a voltage drop in the cable, which, in turn, reduces the amount of power you're actually able to get out of the unit. Ideally you don't want the voltage to drop much below 230V (less than 5% volt drop if you're using a cable sizing calculator for the length you need).

11. I understood the OP had a seperate electric shower "that was fine"