Electrical apprenticeship?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by markysparky, Mar 9, 2006.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Can somebody tell me how long it is?

Many years ago it used to be 5 years, when I done it was 4 and now my apprentice says it's now just 3 years!

I know the college course is only 3 years. But is that when the apprenticeship actually ends?

2. DUMBSPARKY

DUMBSPARKY New Member

I think they have it down to two years!:)

3. Top Trumper

Top Trumper New Member

markysparky
    I dont think it does actually end.
    After all, we are always learning and always looking for an increase in salary

4. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Very true TT. Which is why I don't think 3 years is enough!

5. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

There is a lot who visit here have done a wonderful 12 weeks training and now are fully competant sparks. After all theyve got 2381 and 2391.
    Just look at one of the recent posts a voltage probe to do 2391 testing, this so called trained person is going to be let loose with 240V

6. X

X New Member

know the college course is only 3 years. But is that when the apprenticeship actually ends?

It ends when you can make a decent brew on demand

7. stranger

stranger New Member

There seems to be many different versions of apprenticeships.
    Differs from college of college.
    My company uses the JTL course which is about 2.5 years of college mix of day release and block release then they do about 1 years site experience while completing a log book. Then they do the AM2. once they have passed the AM2 they can be Graded as a Electrician.

About 3 1/2 years Approx

But I'm still learning 20 years on.

8. DUMBSPARKY

DUMBSPARKY New Member

But I'm still learning 20 years on.

course you are!:)

9. markysparky

markysparky New Member

We are all apprentices in the eyes of the lord. Even you DS.

10. markysparky

markysparky New Member

At last a straight answer thanks stranger!:)

11. Adam_151

Adam_151 New Member

I was speaking to the area manager or whatever it is for JTL a few weeks ago and apparently it works in 5 blocks of 3 weeks for the first year, and 4 blocks of 3 weeks in the second year, and the third and forth years are all on site.

(just to build on what stranger has said)

...Now if I could just find someone to take me on as an apprentice, i'd be laughing, not looking for another one are you marky? ...[/blatant plug]

12. markysparky

markysparky New Member

I'm from County Durham Adam. I dunno where you are from but are you anywhere near me? :)

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Mine's 12 inches

14. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Not even close LD

15. Adam_151

Adam_151 New Member

Unfortunatly not, lincolnshire :( ,I'm considering relocating though if I don't find anything local in the next few months (though I would have to do quite a bit of research into the costs involved before I jump - currently living with parents atm...)

16. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Just been looking at your posts Adam. You appear to be looking for a job since August!

Is it really that hard finding somebody to take you on?

Keep trying mate. Somebody will take you on eventually. :)

17. Adam_151

Adam_151 New Member

Just been looking at your posts Adam. You appear to
    be looking for a job since August!

Is it really that hard finding somebody to take you
    on?

Keep trying mate. Somebody will take you on
    eventually. :)

Thanks, and yes it is :( or seems to be, no idea that it would be when I started looking, in contact with a few companies atm, hopefully one of those will work out for me :)

18. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

19. Home Farm

Home Farm New Member

Lincolnshire is full of ex RAF electricians who are looking for a 'little job' to supplement their pension.

Not an easy place to find work

20. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

Talking to SECTT (Scotland) the minimum time is approximately 3 1/2 years. The apprentice has to pass one stage to carry on with the next stage, and so on.

It really comes down to the quality of the apprentice and the quality of the training.

I have a chap 1 day a week from the local college. He hasn't looked at his notes at home in 6 weeks with me and cannot answer any questions. He will be returned to sender after the 13 weeks learning experience with me.
    You can only try so hard with some people (I have explained ring circuits several times now - twice in one day and he still doesn't get it, or try to study it)

Getting someone reliable and trustworthy is hard. I would suggest taking 2 on part time until August / September and seeing how they both get on