Electrical certificates

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Boris007, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Boris007

Boris007 New Member

Hi Folks

I would like to change some of the sockets & switches in my late mum & dads house (like for like), as some of the old ones look very discoloured, with the plan to sell the house at some point. Do I need a minor works electrical certificate to do this or would the possible buyer get a full inspection anyway that would cover this?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you feel competent do it just go ahead. No MWC required if just changing accessories on a like for like basis, just make sure that all your connections are tightened properly and that there's earth sleeving on the earthing conductors.

spinlondon likes this.
  3. Boris007

Boris007 New Member

Ok thanks :)

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Take pictures before you disconnect every wire! and maybe even add a mark or two to wires to help identify them.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

How will he know that it's all been correctly reconnected (or that it was ever connected properly) without inspection and testing? Inspection and testing isn't optional even though a MEIWC might be.

P.S. There can only be one Earthing conductor in the electrical installation.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I dont know what the sockets are on . maybe radial final or ring final, but are you not supposed to verify conductor continuity after fitting the sockets? Just wondering thats all.

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Senica means CPC, but he is talking to a non electrician so he uses terms the layman may understand. The earthing conductor is the wire from the CCU to the main earth terminal or electrode, as I remember.......

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thanks Bob but I would call that one the MEC (main earthing conductor), as far as i'm concerned any wire that is being used to supply an earth is an "earthing conductor"!

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

To my mind, an earthing conductor is any conductor used to connect something to Earth.
    An Earth conductor earths an installation but to avoid confusion I try to use the term installation Earth conductor.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

An Earth conductor could be a bloke conducting a band called Earth. It could be a bloke called Earth on a bus collecting tickets, or a train. Pedantic so and so's. :)

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

The Earthing conductor is clearly defined in BS7671 so calling cpcs that is wholly incorrect. Also there is no such thing as a main Earthing conductor - there is only one Earthing conductor in an electrical installation.

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Here we go again. Mr Pedantic back from under his shell.

seneca likes this.
  14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

In other words, "Risteard is correct."

retiredsparks likes this.
  15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I do not see how it can be. He is located in the United Kingdom.

16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

'Norn Iron'...so it is !
    RS

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Derry and Donegal? sounds Irish to me Bazza!

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You need a geography lesson then. He is located in Derry (aka Londonderry). That is in the United Kingdom(

Screenshot 2018-03-16 14.54.03.png

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Londonderry is in the UK but Derry is in Ireland :D

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Londonderry is the same thing as Derry.
    It/they are in Northern Ireland which, last time I looked, is part of the United Kingdom.

See that line on the map to the west of the city?