Electrical certificates?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rodrialcazar, Aug 15, 2021.

1. rodrialcazar

rodrialcazar New Member

Hello,

New kitchen fitted, and, as part of it, new induction hob installed (with new circuit) in replacement of the old gas hob. Also new sockets installed here and there.

Any certificates that should have been issued? We're in Scotland.

Thanks.

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Regardless of where you are, a new circuit requires an electrical installation certificate (EIC).

In Scotland if it was in a flat or house with more than 2 stories you also need to involve the council.

rodrialcazar likes this.
  3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

You may find some of the cabling for the cooker already existed, most houses have provision for an electric cooker - if it did then you should have received a Minor Works Certificate.
    If it is completely new, and did not recycle any aspect of an existing circuit, you should have an Electrical Installation Certificate.
    Separately you should have at least one Minor works Certificate for the additional sockets.

rodrialcazar likes this.
  4. rodrialcazar

rodrialcazar New Member

Thanks. I'm not sure to be honest (bought the house a few months ago), but in the installation quote it said that a new circuit was needed to be installed for the new induction hob. Many thanks for your anwers.

5. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I pride myself on being quite efficient on paperwork, but a lot of sparks are not, I have mates in the trade who are excellent electricians but hopeless with getting certificates done! I even know of some big firms that don't keep on top of it, their work is top drawer, but not the admin!!, a polite gently nudge will likely make them give you the paperwork, no need to hit the panic button just yet!