electrics to detached garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by clarky74, Sep 2, 2010.

1. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

I have a detached garage and want to run electrics to it.
    I plan to go from the consumer unit in the house (which has a spare way on the non RCD side) to a new garage one with 40A RCD main switch a 16A Mcb and 6A Mcb.I have some 4mm 3core SWA cable left over from another job to run the 25M from CU to CU.
    first question is the 4mm SWA cable big enough?
    2nd Question what size MCB should it run from in the house?

2. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

Forgot to mention I will only be running 1 or 2 lights and power tools. say 3000W absoloute max to be safe.

3. state-it

state-it New Member

I have some 4mm 3core SWA cable left over from
    another job to run the 25M from CU to CU.

So you're an electrician then??

first question is the 4mm SWA cable big enough?
    2nd Question what size MCB should it run from in the
    house?

If you're an electrician then why the heck don't you know the answers to these BASIC questions???

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Well Clarky,

I have to agree with the other comment here, if your a sparks(?) who has some SWA left over from another job to do your 'lectrics (cue Handyman terminology) you must be able to calc out your cable size prior to work commencing.

Also, see part P is doing its job as usual..

* fed up of every man and his * dog having a go at what brings home my bacon!

[Edited by: admin]

5. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

No I am not an Electrician hence asking the questions. I am actually a chippy. I intend to do most of the work myself and have it connected up tested and cretified as I do with all my electrical work.

6. sparky Si-Fi

I intend to do most of the work myself and have it connected up tested and cretified as I do with all my electrical work.

Oh thats ok then!

7. sparky Si-Fi

:^O to do the calcs for you..???

come on mate, what you think we are!

8. sparky Si-Fi

:^O to do the calcs for you..???

come on mate, what you think we are!

9. sparky Si-Fi

What a * site, only posts half my reply

[Edited by: admin]

10. sparky Si-Fi

My original reply was,

Why not ask the sparks who is (ahem) going to certify YOUR work that your doing, rather than coming into a chatroom and asking us how to do it?

I give up!

11. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

I didnt think that because someone has some SWA left over from another job that makes them an electrician. By the way I have done Part p just havent registered with a governing body to self cert my own work. Becides I normally have a sparks do most of my work, except my usual guy has just moved to australia.

12. sparky Si-Fi

I have done Part p

Sorry Pal

If you have done part P Basic cable calcs should have been covered on the course work and if you would like to know how I know that, its because I teach THIS subject part-time!

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

What's part P then Clarky?

Only part p I've done is round the back of the Bab house on a Sat night and then the Rozzers rocked up and stopped me!

:^O

14. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

Amazing how many sparks have "moved to Oz" recently!!