Electrics

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by BEF, Mar 22, 2020.

1. BEF

BEF New Member

Hi, I am not an electrician but a competent DIYer.
    I am about to change a ceiling light fitting back the rose type but the mains cable coming through the ceiling (which is the only cable) is not showing live on my electric screwdriver tester? and yet the light-switch on the wall is definitely showing live? I don't understand what could have happened because the previous spot lamp fitting was working up until the bulbs gave out? Nobody has been in the loft to disturb any wiring... and besides it is boarded over.

2. kevinbaldy

kevinbaldy Member

please do not use a electric screwdriver tester to confirm power to /or isolation of a circuit . they should not be trusted .

3. BEF

BEF New Member

oh blimey! I never knew that I have used one for many many years! so why are they sold if they are not safe?
    Thanks

4. kevinbaldy

kevinbaldy Member

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the existing light fitting extra low voltage ,run from a transformer ?

6. BEF

BEF New Member

no transformer straight from mains

Attached Files:

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have you connected the pendant to the terminal block to see if the bulb lights ?
    When the last fitting stopped working ,how do you know it was because of bulb failure ?

8. BEF

BEF New Member

Not yet that will be my next step thanks. although I still don't get that my electric screwdriver tells me there is power at the switch but not at the ceiling?

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have you tested for voltage on both sides of the switch ?

10. BEF

BEF New Member

Yes it only the red live showed voltage

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

With switch in " on" position ,both conductors should be live ,I.e the incoming to com terminal and the outgoing switched live at L1. Are you saying only one of them is live ? If so the switch is duff.

12. BEF

BEF New Member

oh that would make sense then? and it is quite feasible as the light switch has had a very hard knock recently....
    I will check this out too thanks you for your help!

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Do Let us know how you get on.

14. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Also, you need to be earthed for it to work. Standing on a fibreglass or wooden ladder (or even a chair) will stop a neon screwdriver from working!

At least you know the screwdriver works!

15. BEF

BEF New Member

Hi, this is the first chance I have had to get back to this - please can you look at the wiring to the switch for me? I don't quite follow the this set-up the 3 black cables are capped together?
    I haven't yet connected the rose and pendant until I am sure.

16. BEF

BEF New Member

oops forgot the pic...

Attached Files:

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's too blurred to make out. Can you show the connections at the back of the switch plate ,and any in the enclosure ?

18. BEF

BEF New Member

is this better?

Attached Files:

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes much better. The black insulated conductors are neutrals connected together ,all fine. The bare earth conductors should be sleeved in green/ yellow sheath. The switch plate is metal and the earth conductors should connect to its earth terminal on the back of the switch plate. The two red insulated conductors together in the " com" terminal are the live supply in ,and ongoing to the next switch. The red in a terminal ( probably marked L1) on its own is the switched live to the light fitting ,and should be live when switch is " on" ,and not live when switch is " off"

20. BEF

BEF New Member

all makes perfect sense thank you - I am guessing the switch maybe upside down then would this be correct? because I get a neon when the switch is off and nothing when it is on...