Employee having days off

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by accebs, Jan 9, 2007.

1. accebs

accebs Member

I have a 29 year old working for me as an electricians mate who persistantly keeps having days off.I just get a text in the morning sayin 'not too well today not comin in i'll be there tomoz'. Obviously i have jobs booked in which due to me be unable to drive till the end of this month i cant get to and him not turning up is causing me to lose money,lose business and let people down.He has my van and therefore all my tools etc which means i cant even do any jobs at home.It annoys me so much but what do i do? I have found this problem with all lads since i set up 6 years ago but when hes there he does do well whereas others are lazy.He is on cis system and gets 300 a week which i thinks good as hes got a van and diesel too.How can i sort this out as we started back last weds and hes already had 2 days off.

2. jonob

jonob Member

why cant you drive ?

never have any probs with that just do all work by myself

it takes longer ,but i know where i stand ;)

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

no expert andy

i assume you have an "unwritten "contract!!!!

perhaps you need to put him in the picture that he is taking the pee

he obviously finds it to easy to give you the brush of and go sick
    the actions you can take dependant on time served written or verbal agreements that are in place

just make shure you tell him his conduct is costing money and youll soon have trouble paying the bills including his wages

just my thoughts

big all

4. leechy

leechy New Member

If he's got your van and tools how are you sure he's not phoning sick for you and then using the van and tools on a job he's arranged himself?

5. accebs

accebs Member

thats possible but i think he just has too much to smoke of a night and cant be bothered if you know what i mean

6. bigjules

bigjules New Member

First of all, I would not, under any circumstances, accept a text message for an item of this nature from any of my employees.
    IMO, you should gently advise the miscreant firstly that text messages are not acceptable and secondly that his continued absences will no longer be accepted.
    Do you reduce his pay for sick days?

7. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

Hang on till the end of the month till you are able to drive. Find another mate in the meantime.

Next time you get a text message saying he can't come tomorrow, text him back saying not to come the day after, or the day after that, in fact don't come back at all.

Don't mmess about 'cos it'll just get worse

8. nigel

nigel Guest

Next time he has a day off take a cab and pick up your tools and if you find he is not there deduct the cab fare from his salary.

9. ­

­ New Member

Just sack the useless little tow rag

10. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Start recruiting for another guy and make it plain that his behaviour is not aceptable and he needs to change his ways. When you find someone then sack your curent guy.

11. everhopeful

everhopeful New Member

Sack him and employ a couple of Poles for the same money.

It's the future.

12. ChaserRenos

ChaserRenos New Member

With my employees its you better have a Drs note its a vacation day and you dont get paid. I give them one warning then its time to part company.

13. gay boy

gay boy Member

Doctors note! you can self certify for up to five days so that wont work! U need to find urself a young lad with his own car who will drive to yours in the morning and then drive the van! But come on! you cant drive at the moment? how can you expect to run a business that relies on your van if you cant drive it! what if he drove you both to a job and then he got injured and had to go to hospital! youd be stranded with your van and no one to drive it!not a good set up! best wait till the end of the month and then you dont have to rely on anyone else. In the mean time sack the useless, lazy, stoned ****!

14. Just a user

Just a user New Member

1. All employees should have a written contract of employment. This website gives you some examples:
    http://www.hrmanager.co.uk

Pick and choose which parts you want to use.

2. If he has been working for you for longer than 12 months then he can claim unfair dismissal unless you go through the proper procedure (this applies even if you are completely in the right).
    This is the link to the procedure you should follow
    http://www.hrmanager.co.uk/dismissprocedures.htm

3. If he has less than a years service with you then my experience is that people rarely improve no matter how much direction or help you provide.

The next time he phones in tell him that his absence is affecting your business and that unless he can show proof of real illness you will have to dismiss him. Put that in writing to him.

If it happens again give him a final written warning saying he will be dismissed if it happens again.

If it happens again dismiss him, and put the reasons in writing.

4. If he has more than 12 months service you need to be more careful because of point 1. above. You first need to make a decision as to whether he is likely to take you to a tribunal. If there is a risk of this then see the dismissal links on the above website for advice.

Its very important you do all this properly if you are not sure which steps to take ask a solicitor or your accountant.

15. Telmay

Telmay New Member

so how did you lose your license then? If it was through drink then you deserve all the problems you get in my opinion

16. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Make sure you have your van and tools back in your possession before you do anything else.

Tell him that text messages are not an appropriate way to contact you when he is ill.

Keep a close check on the van mileage (and diesel costs). This might help you work out if he's working on his own account. Receipts for diesel might show up purchases from places you wouldn't have expected your van to be.

If you're going to employ people and let them have a vehicle put a tracker on the vehicle. This might reduce your insurance costs a little and will let you find out where your vehicles are whenever you want to know.

Send this guy for a 'company medical'. If he's repeatedly ill you have a right to know what's going on - especially if he might be a health and safety risk to either himself, you or your customers. Anyone on unprescribed recreational drugs, IMHO, is very likely to be a risk. Many people on prescribed drugs or unprescribed legitimate drugs are. He may be putting your customers' lives at risk - this may, in turn, put your business at risk and even put you in prison for corporate manslaughter if the worst happens.

17. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

get rid son, but first of all get your driving licence.time waits for no man.

18. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

employ a few poles chief.give them the van and your work,you just sit back and pay them £30 a day.everyone's happy that way.

19. PDPS

PDPS New Member

employ a few poles chief.give them the van and your
    work,you just sit back and pay them £30 a
    day.everyone's happy that way.

Great idea. Within weeks they'll be cutting you out by offering to do the job for half the price. They'll increase their incomes at the same time and still be a drain on the UK economy by not paying taxes and sending most of their income back home.

20. nudger

nudger New Member

I would talk to him and tell him what you expect, put him on a attendance bonus i.e you are on 10 an hour but if you fail to turn up to work for what ever reason you will only be paid 6 an hour.....If that fails kick his teeth in