emulsion on gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sammy toaster, Dec 18, 2008.

1. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

can one put an emulsion on top of a glossed wall?

2. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

... on a glossed wall?

PONTY: Plenty Of Names To Yawn (at) :^O

3. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

never heard of it ponty ? ah well carry on ,good luck in your nvq,s.

4. The answer is yes, eventually after some prep work. You'll need to abrade the shine off the gloss, use a pole sander to make quick work of it. Then wash down with sugar soap. I would then apply a mist coat of a contract matt (no vinyl content. Then you can apply your chosen finish.

5. jcts

jcts Active Member

good answer jimbob

6. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

We must assume the original gloss paint was used due to a lack of knowledge about paint products. Lets hope its not an exterior wall.

7. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

I don't get it.
    Why use a contract mist coat over gloss, even after rubbing it down.

8. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

To help the gloss absorb it

9. jcts

jcts Active Member

to make sure the shine is covered

10. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

jcts: to make sure the shine is covered

You must think a thinned out contract paint, will adhere well to gloss then. :O

11. Guttercat, it's the method I've used on a few jobs covering glossed and silk finishes. The reason for using the contract matt, well firstly it's cheap, secondly it dries quickly and thirdly it shows up any poorly prepped areas which can then be dealt with easily as the dried failed paint can easily be sanded back. If a vinyl matt is used it's more likely to blister and fail and peel off and not sand back as well, causing lot's more work with a scraper etc.

Out of interest what would you use?

12. jcts

jcts Active Member

You must think a thinned out contract paint, will adhere well to gloss then

can't be bothered to waste my time with you. quite frankly you bore me to tears

13. polly222

polly222 Member

ponty 01
    why must we assume that gloss paint was used due to lack of knowledge.
    i am sure that if you talked to a lot of older tradesman they will tell you that a lot of premises ( hospitals schools etc )used gloss on exterior and interior walls and cielings before emulsions were readily available.
    I am sure a lot of the older tradesman on this forum will tell you the same. just ask any you know and i am sure they will say the same.
    cheers mate polly

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

sammy go over the gloss with Zinnser Bullseye 123 then emulsion it.

jcts, why are your replies always on the defensive and with an aggressive nature, for a bloke who is supposably set up for life it's not going to be a long one, chill out man otherwise high blood pressure will kill you. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

15. Zinnser 123 would be a great solution, however if it's a big room or rooms it will also be a very expensive one.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could be inexpensive in the end thou to get the job done correctly, if it's a job for a paying customer the materials go on the estimate.

17. jcts

jcts Active Member

astra, can't help it mate, it's the way i am. i have a lot of stress to deal with. i also have a lot of anger for various reasons, and i'm not trying to make excuses because i should be more patient and chilled. i'm not saying it's a nice place to be but that's me

18. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Jimbo: Out of interest what would you use?

Had a large staircase to do like this. The walls were a heavy gloss blue :O on plaster, and they wanted them finished in matt but I was real concerned about the probs involved.
    Considered using oil based undercoat..Astra's 123 would've worked fine but I decided on Johnstone's Stormshield smooth masonry as it's full of acrylic and it sticks like hell and dries rock hard.
    I applied it neat, so, great coverage and excellent adhesion. Final coat.. vinyl matt.

Will use the pole sander next time as well. :(

19. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Sammy,

I would suggest that you wash down in the usual manner then when dry flat the gloss with a pole sander using 120 grade aluminium oxide abrasive. Dust off the wall, thoroughly, using a 6" or 7" flat wall brush then wipe over with a damp sponge, rinsing it out frequently. Carry out all necessary filling and making good.

I suggest two suitable options:

1. Apply a buffer coat of acrylic primer/undercoat thinned approximately 10%. When dry proceed with your emulsion paint.

or

2. Line the wall with at least 1000 grade lining paper using a stoutly mixed fungicidal paste. When dry apply a mist coat of your emulsion paint followed by two full coats.

20. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Ponty wrote:

"We must assume the original gloss paint was used due to a lack of knowledge about paint products".

What would it be exactly, this lack of knowledge?

Ponty also wrote:

"Lets hope its (sic) not an exterior wall".

Why, exactly?