En suite shower room - where to start? And cost?

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by shelley mills, Feb 21, 2023.

  1. shelley mills

    shelley mills New Member

    Hello - We’d like to add an en-suite (shower, toiler & sink), plus dormer to the rear of our second floor bedroom. The property has a pitched roof and was built in the 30's with 2 floors, meaning the second floor bedroom is original to the house with original staircase and is NOT a loft conversion. The bedroom runs from front to back of the house and there are eaves to either side of the bedroom (front & back of the house).

    To accommodate the en-suite we’d like to add a dormer to the eaves (its about 3 ft deep) at the back of the bedroom, plus steal some space from the rear of the bedroom itself. We wouldn’t therefore be adding any additional floor space to what already exists. Lots of properties in this area have added a dormer at the back of the house. We believe this would come under permitted development and as such, won’t require planning permission (although I've emailed our local planning officer - in Kingston Upon Thames - to double check this) although I believe we will need building control sign off.

    Our real issue is that we're getting conflicting advice from almost everyone, about almost everything! I think partly because everyone assumes we're doing a loft conversion when we're not. I've been told I need at least one, or a combination of the following: architect, surveyor and structural engineer. I'm not sure what I actually need (although I cant believe we need an architect!) and so I'm not sure where/who to start with!

    I'm also unsure if we need a party wall agreement (we're semi detached).

    I'd be very grateful for any advice/pointing in the right direction anyone is able to give. And even more grateful for approx costings (excluding sanitary wear, window, flooring & tiling). Many thanks
  2. Hausfix

    Hausfix Screwfix Select

    I don’t think it’s possible to provide any realistic figures when it comes to potential costs of this project, there are too many variables to factor in. Maybe somewhere between 10k and 20k?
    You may find that a local independent architect is actually the best person to speak to first, as they will have knowledge of what K upon T planning dept consider permitted development, what plans you need to submit to BC, and foremost, come up with the best design, spec and drawings for what you require. They will also prevent you being hoodwinked by a local building firm who may not be motivated by finding the most cost effective solutions for your project..
    shelley mills likes this.
  3. shelley mills

    shelley mills New Member

    Thanks so much for your help.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice