End panel - tile behind or butt up

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Muzungu, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Simple question, more aesthetics than anything else.

Tiling down to the skirting against the end of a run of cabinets would you butt the tiles up to the end cab and then fit the end panel or fit the end panel and butt the tiles up to that?

Thanks guys.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

All depends how you set your tiling out. If you’re going to have a narrow strip to cut down the edge of the side panel, then it might be advisable to tile first, leaving a wider cut for the tiles. If not, just butt them up to the end panel. Only you know how the tiles will work out. ;)

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Tiles will work out well either way. These are 398 mm tiles and it is a gap between two cabinet runs at 90 degrees to each other. I have worked it so the tile pattern is centred in the gap with a 150mm strip each side and two full tiles between those. I'll just butt them up to the end panel then rather than up to the end of the cab and then put the end panel on.

Thanks.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes, probably easier to cut tiles to match the end panel, than cut the end panel to match the tiles.

Muzungu likes this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks for that. That was my main concern and just wanted some confirmation.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

They may measure 398 but create a 400mm tile pattern/repeat when the grout line is included.

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks Pollowick; I included the grout line in the setup. This is my first big tiling job, kitchen and utility room, and found the setting out planning oddly satisfying! Don't know what this says about me.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

All in the prep.