ENER-j v Quinetic

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RolandK, Mar 5, 2021.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I'm looking at kinetic switches to enable me to control three lights in the same room from three locations. Kinetic because wiring would a real mission!
    Need to have dimmable too.
    Has anyone experience of Ener-j and/or Quinetic,?
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  2. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

not much good unless you can get under boards above the light pendant. ?
    Plus that noise every time...

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi,
    First floor room so access from loft is fine. I know what you mean about the noise: it's a bit grating like those Hue Tap switches!
    Alternative is to go with those good old fashioned cables! Lot more hassle and cost of course. If I do go down that route will probably use Varilight gear.
    Current arrangement is wireless hence absence of cables.
    Cheers

4. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Just seen another video of this stuff.

Sure it might be very useful in certain circumstances.
    j

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes, easy to see the attraction.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hue bulbs and 3 of the stick up wireless hue switch/dimmers. Job jobbied. The bulbs will still work from whatever other switch is there too.

7. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes, I did look at that option as I have Hue already but I would need 9 switches at £16 each so £144 right there plus the Hue bulbs. And battery changes for the switches. But I agree the option with the least amount of work.

8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Decided to go Quinetic and got stuff on order. Thick end of £200 for 3x3 gang switches and 3x switch/dimmer modules not too bad I guess. Did look at Varilight Master and slave touch switches. Cheaper but the wiring a challenge. Not difficult, just a lot of it!
    If these kinetic switches take off I can see certain situations like mine will be a much easier job. Depends on how reliable the kit proves to be. Be interested to hear what the professionals think?