Energy Monitor

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by alwaysworking, Mar 23, 2010.

1. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Guys,
    Had one of these fitted today and already it's getting on my nerves, it fluctuates from 200ish Kwatts to 2.9, what ever that is. It shows the monthly cost as any thing from £30 a month upto £300 a month.

Are these things any good?

I'm gonna turn the laptop off for few minutes to save money and hopefully when I switch back on I'll have some answers :)

AW

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Instantaneous usage will vary considerably as things come on and off under thermostat control (cookers, heaters, irons, central heating pump, tumble drier element, fridges etc etc - when those are in use) but the averages over say an hour should give a good idea as to what is costing what.

3. sysparks

sysparks New Member

I dont really see the point in them, i mean you buy one and then it makes you realise that when you turn stuff off it saves you money?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

agree with this although perhaps the point is to help "joe public" understand what appliances use a lot of juice.

5. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I got a free one off the council in association with British Gas. Had it now for at least six months so the novelty of switching the kettle on and watching the rate go up. You'll probably keep looking at it for a few months then completely ignore it. ;)

6. AVO8MK5

AVO8MK5 New Member

For the Nit Wits with too much cash/too little common sense relying on over priced **** like energy monitors read on -
    Every house, office, factory in the land has an "energy monitor" or as most normal people call it the "electricity meter" If the disc spins fast your are using more electricity than when it spins slow. Or if you are in spam belt you may have an electricity meter that has a flashing LED. The faster the LED flashes the more electricity you are using. When I was teenager growing up my dad would often drag me along to the cupboard below the stairs where our "energy monitor" resided and pointed out the error of my ways of leaving the immersion heater switched ON often followed by saying "look at how fast that disc is spinning, its about to come off the bloody meter"!!!So NO you cant have a * bath before you go out!(showers had not been invented back then)

[Edited by: admin]

7. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

so you did not have a bath when you lived at home

you smelly *******

change the name of the gadgets to stinkohmeter

cheers

8. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

"look at how fast that disc is spinning, its about to come off the bloody meter"!!!So NO you cant have a * bath before you go out"

I bet you were very popular with the girls AVO ;)

9. AVO8MK5

AVO8MK5 New Member

BRUT and cheap ***** sherry masked the smell!

10. AVO8MK5

AVO8MK5 New Member

Yes joinerjohn.
    Cheap perfume and cheap * sherry for the ladies. Nobody was lost to MRSA, swine flu etc

11. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Ahh, them were the days. Splash it all over. Cheers our Enery. Twas so potent it took the skin off yer chin. Good stuff that Brut.
    I never used cheap sherry. all you needed was a Party Seven ;)

12. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

AVO8MK5 you knob, just because I have an energy meter doenst mean I have too much cash, neither does it mean too little common sense. What it actually means is I got it FREE and I'm 'interested' to know (as its free) roughly whats costing the most, yeah right I'm gonna walk 30 metres across the drive into the metre cupboard to see a disc spinning...as it happens I've turned it off, spent too much time switching lights on to see how much I was spending on them lights, so it actually was costing me more having it fitted.