Engineered Oak 10mm or 14mm

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Oct 25, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I saw a parquet herringbone engineered oak floor and the supplier has it in 10mm thickness or 14mm thickness.

He said either doesn't matter but thought I'd get a second opinion as he could be saying it just to make a sale.

Both have a top wear layer of 3mm so is it better to get the thicker one or it makes no difference?

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Literally just doing this one for a customer today. I’ve done loads in both thicknesses - but my honest advice would be to spend the extra and go for the 14mm if you’re gluing it down. The extra rigidity pays long-term dividends in terms of durability.

If it’s a plywood-based material (as opposed to a synthetic/phenolic/resin type), pay special attention to your expansion gaps around the edges. It expands like you wouldn’t believe in warm, humid conditions. And - open all of the packs and let the material fully acclimatise for at least a few days before you lay it. Hope that helps.

And use a quality adhesive. Thomsit P618 is the best IMHO.

A9E45D45-C6C0-4B84-A45E-D89EEDC6A742.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  3. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. It will be a tongue and groove floating floor. I will have underlay on top of the timber floorboards, probably Duralay Timbermate and some sound insulation vinyl on top, then the engineered floor on top.

If its not glued down to the subfloor will it be a problem?

Also should I glue the tounge and groove with pva...maybe titebond 3?

Also what expansion gap is recommended...skirting is 18mm thick so 15mm?