Era wireless solar alarm siren fault.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Happy Builder, Jan 6, 2021.

1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I have always steered clear of security alarms to dodge late night and holiday callouts, however a year or so ago I agreed to physically install a Era wireless alarm system for a guys mother, purchased from the forum hosts, I installed a socket in the cupboard under the stairs for the power supply, fitted the accessories to the doors and walls, then went up a ladder to fit the sirens to the wall. The ladies son paired everything and set it up on two phones, his and his mothers.

All has been well until the last few days, one of the two external sirens has been going off at random, then I got a call at half ten last night asking if I could take one of the sirens down, so at eleven o'clock last night I was stood looking in the dark looking up at the siren, which wasn't making a noise debating whether to get it down at that time of night.

Being a true to the trades, I procrastinated and came home still in place.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue may be? My only thought is do a factory reset and possibly replace the batteries. I am going back with the ladder in a couple of hours to have a look at it, but cannot imagine seeing an obvious problem.

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

No experience of the era, i would go along with your thoughts & replace the batteries first to rule them out.

3. The Happy Builder

I have the instructions, there is one rechargeable battery and one alkaline 9V start up battery.

There is no indication of how to tell if you need to replace a battery. If the solar panel has been covered with snow and not kept the rechargeable battery topped up could the start up battery be flat and need replacing? Would this result in the siren sounding?

Solar Charged Siren Trade Instructions (free-instruction-manuals.com)

4. sparky steve

Weak batteries as no doubt you will be aware, can create random spurious faults. May also be worth checking tampers on sirens etc.

5. The Happy Builder

I have just spoke to the Era helpline, the start up battery will be flat as it just runs the alarm until the rechargeable battery is up and running, then the rechargeable battery should give 30 days back up even if the alarm is in complete darkness.

Check the rear tamper switch to see if has got wet is the advice.

6. The Happy Builder

It's now snowing here :(

7. sparky steve

Also snowing here. Would not go up ladders in these conditions. Good luck & do let us know results when you get an oppotunity to investigate further.

8. The Happy Builder

Can I just unplug the rear tamper and leave it disconnected? There's a socket shown in the diagram in the instructions that shows the batteries.

9. sparky steve

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've got an ERA shed alarm thingy, a while back it wouldn't disarm using either of the key fobs. I binned the alarm unit and bought another, still one of the key fobs won't disarm it (the other seems to be working but its temperamental).

ERA = poor quality kit IMO.

11. The Happy Builder

The siren box seemed to be secured tight against the wall and the rear rubber tamper switch boot was in place, having got the box down and on a table there wasn't any sign of damp in it.
    In reality the chances of someone trying to prise the box off the wall when I need a double extension ladder to get up to it are very slim, also it is one of two alarms with remote monitoring of the full system, so I have unplugged the rear tamper from the board, just on this box, leaving the cover tamper functioning.

I also replaced the alkaline battery though there should not be any need to, then turned the siren volume to low and set the anti jamming as I don't think it was set as the instructions tell you to wait thirty days after the initial installation.

When we walk tested it the alarm system and siren responded as it should do, so hopefully the ladder can come back off the van. I was impressed by the ERA telephone helpline, I was connected straightaway.

sparky steve likes this.
  12. sparky steve

Glad you got it sorted:)