Erbauer 1/2" Router

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jonny Round Boy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Have just bought one of these, 2100W 1/2" routers (order code 95675), and just thought I'd say I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

As far as I could tell from the catalogue, the only downside to it was that it didn't have soft start, but, lo and behold, when I plugged it in & tried it, it has!!!

I haven't actually used it in anger yet, but for the money it looks REALLY good (especially since I had £20 of free vouchers to use, so it only cost me forty quid!!!).

Anyone else got any comments on this router?

2. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

how long is the lead on it, :)

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

now now bodge, you know that is a retorical question

u know the answer is "very short" or "barely long enough to rout the SHORT edge of an 8x4 sheet, even after you have ironed it straight

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

no ol chap,was refering 2 the soft start i:e if cable supplied was 1.4 miles long,that wood give a voltage drop
    2 said router,which wood seem like a soft start ;)

any way back 2 the vino

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

long cable = voltage drop

far too deep for me, ill stick to the beer tonight, mixing wine and beer always gives me a mussy head

6. oddsocks

oddsocks New Member

Have just bought one of these, 2100W 1/2" routers
    (order code 95675), and just thought I'd say I'm
    pretty impressed with it so far.

As far as I could tell from the catalogue, the only
    downside to it was that it didn't have soft start,
    but, lo and behold, when I plugged it in & tried it,
    it has!!!

Thanks Jonny - i just added this to my saved items and thought I'd check the forum for some info - didnt expect to find it on page 1! I'll place the order now.

7. oddsocks

oddsocks New Member

the router arrived today..I had 'saved' the £85 erbauer a few weeks ago but it disappeared (and is not in the paper catalogue). I had picked the dearer model for the soft start. With only one choice left I bought the £59.95 model and initial reactions are excellent.
    It looks like it has been upgraded compared to the supplied manual (which can be downloaded). It has soft start (so soft I thought it was faulty when I first squeezed the trigger)and an 8 step fixed /rotatable depth adjuster. The depth stop is then adjusted by rack and pinion and pinch lock, and there is a perspex lens that can move in a vertical slot (not sure how to use this as its not in the manual)- maybe set it on a convenient scale mark and then be relative to that - open to suggestions!
    There is also a micro height adjuster on the other post that when you screw it in does pull it down 1mm per turn (again not sure how to use this yet in conjunction with the turret, but its there and seems well made).

Other older posts complained about the spindle run out and 30mm guide thin tin - on mine the spindle runs true and no vibration into the hands (no cutter, collet finger tight). the guide is as substantial as any other I have seen and should not flex at all.
    The case is reasonable, everything has a place (including guide, bars, fence) and it fits with enough space for cables (no obvious storage for any cutters). The clips are good enough - not blow moulded.
    observations - the trigger is two stage (button and squeeze) and there is no lock on included in the box for table use. also the trigger handle has slight play - may just need a screw tightening.
    The fence has a micro adjuster that has no obvious backlash in the thread - the router is heavy though so I expect I will normally use it freehand in a jig (kitchen worktop) or in my router table (it has 1/2 and 1/4 collets

the trigger for buying was the need to fit two new kitchen worktops, and I will do the first one next week - will update after that experience.

8. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

"It has soft start (so soft I thought it was faulty when I first squeezed the trigger)"

LOL. I thought the same!!!

Your 1st impressions are similar to mine. Look forward to your comments once you've used it - I won't be using mine for a few weeks yet, just bought it now to use my vouchers before they ran out of date!

9. boystoys

boystoys New Member

Have just bought one of these, 2100W 1/2" routers
    (order code 95675), and just thought I'd say I'm
    pretty impressed with it so far.

As far as I could tell from the catalogue, the only
    downside to it was that it didn't have soft start,
    but, lo and behold, when I plugged it in & tried it,
    it has!!!

I haven't actually used it in anger yet, but for the
    money it looks REALLY good (especially since I had
    £20 of free vouchers to use, so it only cost me forty
    quid!!!).

Anyone else got any comments on this router?

10. boystoys

boystoys New Member

i was going to send for the ryobi ,until i read that the erbauer has soft start.
    screwfix could be losing sales of this item
    if they don't amend their description
    it was great to read all the reviews,thanks for answering my question

11. oddsocks

oddsocks New Member

I've now used it to cut the kitchen worktops for 'invisible' joins using a freud 1/2 inch router bit and a kitchen jig (700mm Topform Pro bought on ebay)with the erbauer 30mm guide bush as supplied. I'd never used a jig before, but the combination of jig, cutter and router made it simple - the only tricky part was the worktop assembly, pulling it together before the joint compound set. The joins fitted perfectly.

Comments....
    1. even with a freud bit it blunted very quickly (after cutting two widths of top) - I needed to use my diamond sharpener often.
    2. Once the cutter started to go blunt, the router speed electronics seemed to protect the motor if I pushed too hard - it momentarily cuts power then speeds up again. At first I thought it was a dodgy power switch, but it has only happened when the cutter is blunt and I was too fast/trying too much at once (cutting the joins meant the full 12.7mm of cutter was being used, not just trimming). I have since (with a newly sharpened cutter) used the router to trim two worktop ends at full depth and the bottom of 4 doors with no problem.
    3. The plunge action has got a bit stiff, but I have not been using attached dust extraction (I don't have an adaptor to fit the router port) so I assume a build up of dust. A squirt of silicon spray will sort it. The depth lock off lever is easy to reach and effective.
    4. The router was well balanced with no noticable vibration
    5. the spindle lock and collet are easy to use.
    6. The router has no power lock on so if used in a table a local strap will be needed (none supplied).

If i was doing a lot of heavy work I would probably buy a more powerful router -this one is capable of cutting worktops etc but doesnt have much in reserved (but it is just above the recommended minimum of 1600W for such tasks so its to be expected). Still very happy with the router. Well worth the money.

12. malcolm66

malcolm66 New Member

This is an old thread so a bit of a long shot. I have bought this router and I'm very happy with it but I'd like to use it in a table. It has no power lock on so is there a solution? What is a "local strap"?
    Thanks for your help.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. malcolm66

malcolm66 New Member

Wow! thanks for this, much appreciated. The Toughleads thing looks best for me as I'm an expat living in France so I could chop the ends off and replace with local stuff. There must be continental versions of course but tricky to find. Anyway it sets me off on a new search. I'm building a bench with the intention of having a circular saw mounted as a bench saw along with the router as a bench router and maybe a jigsaw mounted for scrolling. I guess I'll need one of these switches for each tool. It's looking expensive.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

France works on 230 - 240v, just different plugs.

Look at the Triton 2000 work centre,can be used with around with 8 different tools, can find them second hand on Ebay, not sure if still available new.

https://www.woodworkingcentreshop.co.uk/acatalog/Triton_Workcentre_2000.html

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. malcolm66

malcolm66 New Member

The workbench is already built in a limited space so I'm stuck with it. I have to make it work.