Erbauer Masonry Drill Bits Have ADHD

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Terry7922, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Terry7922

Terry7922 New Member

I purchased the 6mm and when drilling into house brick it wants to always drill the hole 12mm away?

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Yeah I find that too with most drill bits!

I find if you measure twice the bits behave themselves a bit more and only drill 7mm away from where it should be :D

3. I'm assuming this ain't an SDS drill.

4. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Does an SDS drill & bit, drill a more accurate, precise hole? Didn't think I needed one but if that's the case perhaps I do.

5. You will not believe the difference.

Even our host's cheapo Tritons work really well.

They start off the hole exactly where the bit is planted, and then the drill disappears through whatevs with next to now't effort. Sometimes you have to remind yourself to not press the drill in.

The first time I bought and used one (yes, a SF Triton), my Bosch hammer drill couldn't find a straight line through my 1930's block inner wall (lots of hard pebbles and stuff). The SDS drill not only went through dead straight with no issues whatsoever, but I ended up blowing through the plaster on the other side 'cos I was grinning like an idiot and didn't want to stop.

btiw2 likes this.
  6. Squashrobinson

Well, that's a bit of a bluddy revelation!!
    Thought I heard this mentioned in the past but didn't think much of it, I figured if the bit is straight and turning, that's all you can ask for.
    Had various issues with fixing points wandering of centre whilst working in the house using my Bosch cordless. All makes sense now! Not even upset as it means I can buy a new toy. I've seen the Titan one before.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I know showers can be powerful, but is the jet that forceful it can bore a hole?

btiw2 likes this.
  8. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

It’s a universal human reaction. Tools that change something difficult into something easy will make even the most sullen of us grin like a simpleton.

Sds, angle grinder, chainsaw, even long levers like breaker bars are all technological marvels.

I bet the first prehistoric man who found that a large thigh bone could be used to batter a sabre toothed tiger had that same silly grin.

9. Squashrobinson

Picked this up this morning for £40 :)

Attached Files: