Erecting a fence next to a hedge

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Simbo, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Simbo

Simbo Member

I’d like a fence in my garden instead of the huge hedge that’s currently there.
    Iv spoken to my neighbours who wish to retain the hedge, which is fine.
    So my question is, is erecting a fence right next to the hedge a good idea?
    Just a standard 6ft fence,4x4 posts etc. Will the hedge continue to grow and push the fence over? Will the roots be easy to cut through using an auger?

Advice appreciated.

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Yes the hedge will continue to grow and eventually push your fence over. Depending on size of roots an auger will break your arm. Best to dig holes and cut roots as you find them.

Simbo, WillyEckerslike and Truckcab79 like this.
  3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Not ideal. It’ll grow through it and put pressure on and the panels will bow. It’ll last a good few years but ideally you don’t want it growing against the fence.

Don’t try to use an auger to cut the roots. First one bigger than your little finger and it’ll try to tear your arms off.

Simbo and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You don't say what the hedge is and whether it's yours or the neighbour's. It's unlikely an auger will cope with the roots so you'll probably have to hand dig cutting them as you go.

Concrete posts well fixed in should be okay but a strongly growing hedge may well cause insubstantial panels to bow.

Edit: All typing at the same time. Unusual to see such similar answers in one go. At least the OP has been given obviously sound advice.

Simbo and Truckcab79 like this.
  5. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

last one like this I did, I took the hedge out with owner's permission.
    Digging and then postcreteing 8 posts amongst hedge roots is not done.

6. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Sorry to go against the flow, but we have a large beech hedge in the back garden and the neighbour has a fence hard against it.
    The hedge is taller than the fence, so they regularly have to cut the top half of the hedge, but the fence hasn't budged in many years (we have been there 8 years). I suspect it's because the limbs that are covered by the fence panel aren't getting any light to grow.

Simbo likes this.
  7. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

There is of course the question of where the actual boundary is? Might be the case that the hedge has grown over the boundary on your side so you could cut the hedge back?

Simbo likes this.
  8. Simbo

Simbo Member

I’m not sure what type of hedge it is, I think a privet one.
    The hedge forms the boundary on both sides so it’s owned by both me and my neighbours. But be lucky if both of them cut it even once a year. Its an eyesore, it’s doesn’t go the whole way round my garden and is generally wild, brambles and stuff growing through it.

9. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

It’s the brambles and stuff (especially ivy) growing through it that will do the most damage. Grow fast and push their way through panels. You could offset some of the issues by constructing something more robust so perhaps concrete posts and hit and miss fencing. Sturdy and with gaps big enough that there won’t be much damage before you’ve had a chance to cut back or (preferably) spray anything trying to get through. (Don’t spray the hedge, that’s criminal damage). As I said earlier it’ll last many years if you build well. Just don’t expect it to last forever. Also helps to be neighbourly and maybe offer to go round and trim theirs a couple of times a year, including the rear if its at all accessible.

Incidentally you may not own the hedge equally. The boundary isn’t the same thing as who owns the fence or hedge. This gets asked constantly and is often misunderstood and misquoted. Ownership of the hedge is whoever planted it, or who bought the house off the previous owner who planted it. Helps in your case if they think that you do though. Unless of course it’s specifically marked on your deeds. Rarely is though.

Above all try to keep it amicable.