estwing hammer quality

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mr spanton, Mar 23, 2004.

1. mr spanton

mr spanton New Member

I am a new forum member, and have been very interested in the variety of topics covered from so many angles.
    The other day I was looking at estwing hammers in b&q. When I looked at the first one, it wasn't straight(looking along the hammer handle, it was bent to one side). So was the second one, and the third. In fact only one out of the 5 or 6 on display was straight. I bought the straight one. Did I do the right thing???
    Should a hammer be straight or doesn't it matter???

Mr Spanton

2. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

wos it bent 2 the left or the right?
    as there is a diference in the velocity speed at which it hits the nail.

3. jorustle

jorustle Guest

Surely that depends on whether it is a right-hand, or left-hand hammer!

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

welcome mr spanton

yes always buy the tool you are happies with but it is in your financial interest to buy proper tools from proper tool shops

estwing hammers seem to be made of a stightly softer grade of steel than other hammers so they bite the nail better

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

i've never measured the bend in my hammer as it reaches the sound barrier in a clockwise direction

6. jorustle

jorustle Guest

Is that right-handed, or left-handed Dirty Deeds?

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

double handed to get to the speed of sound

8. Dewy

Dewy New Member

My clawhammer went walkies & I bought a cheap one to get me by. The shaft bent when pulling nails out & the rubber handle soon broke half way through. never again.
    I still have the quality ball pein hammer I bought 40 years ago. Only needed one new handle in that time & has done a lot of peining over with it.

9. jorustle

jorustle Guest

Double handed eh? Now that's what I call bragging.

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

buy cheap buy twice

11. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I bet you have a few left handed screwdrivers to go with the hammer.

12. coggy

coggy New Member

Talking of Estwing hammers. About 10 years ago i saw a roofer who had sharpened the thin stem and made the hammer in to 2 tools. An hammer and an axe type tool for chopping the birdsmouths in the rafters :(

How dangerous is that !!!!

Coggy

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

14. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

eastwing are now expanding there wares to the northen hemisphere, and they will b known as northwing ;)
    nite 4 now

15. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I used to hollow grind & hone an axe. It worked well as a plane.
    My grandfather had a small hammer similar to a cross pein but the cross went top to bottom like an axe. I don't think such hammers are made anymore. I know my father searched for one for many years with no luck.

16. jorustle

jorustle Guest

Dewy, I have had a ball pein hammer since 1965. I have replaced the handle twice, and the head once.

17. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I've had a yard broom since 1966. It has only needed 15 handles & 7 heads.
    They were made to last in those day, ;)

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

you only wear out handles if you work for the council

19. bilco

bilco New Member

Dewy I have a straight pein hammer...often doubles as a real pein...when me thumb get's too close :(

20. WOLF

WOLF New Member

hi guys, plenty of "GOOD" comments re the hammers here, or should we say "BRICKLAYERS" screwdrivers..... however i digress(what again!!)... a couple of weeks ago, one of my suppliers(kindly bods) asked me to try out the "new" fangled ESTWING hammer... the ones that look like a fireman's axe, but with a head instead of the blade... i took one look and though.. yeah right...what novalty idea is this, as it does not look like a hammer as i know it!!!

well as asked, i gave it a go, it's front weighted, to assist in the swing, less effort they say... and has a shock mounted head, to absorb all them there wallops!!!
    well guess what, after putting up a pergola at the weekend for the step son, i have to admit...THEY AIN'T HAVING IT BACK WITHOUT A FIGHT!! i truely believe the yanks have done it again and re-invented the god damned hammer....not sure about the £54 price tag though!!!!