Ethernet to wifi

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Lee hocker, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Lee hocker

Lee hocker New Member

i have run an Ethernet cable to an out building is there a product on the market I can plug in to get my house WiFi
    Cheer lee

2. techie

techie Active Member

If you’ve run a cable then why wouldn’t you plug into a router or switch port that presumably you already have at the house end and into a switch at the out building

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Yes you need an WiFi access point. Many available for about £15 upwards

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I'm guessing the ethernet cable to the outbuilding is extended from the house router, so will need an access point to convert back to Wi-Fi.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

As above...

You'll have to tweak a few of the settings of your new access point so that it will work happily on the same network as your existing one, but it's not too tricky

6. Lee hocker

Lee hocker New Member

Cheers for that.
    It is actually for a holiday let and it needs to connect a tv and also WiFi for guest convenience. Could any one recommend one
    Lee

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Ubiquiti AC Pro, have one in my kitchen. Superb.

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would highly recommend Ubiquiti, I have 3 APs in the house, but might be a bit overkill for what you are looking for. Perhaps the TPLINK TL-WA901N would do.
    Have you considered security if the guests will be sharing your network connection?

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I just use one of the many broadband boxes that are available from Freecycle or Freegle when people change their broadband provider.
    I've done it in about 5 different situations and they all work a treat.
    Just plug the ethernet cable into any of the ethernet sockets of the broadband box in the main house. Then plug the other end of the ethernet cable into any of the ethernet sockets of Freecycle/Freegle broadband box in the other building. Fire it all up and it should work. I have done this with old boxes from PlusNet, BT, O2, and others.
    Once (I think it was with a BT box) I had to fiddle with the DHCP settings to get it to work, but that was only because the powering up sequence between the house and outbuilding boxes had to be done in a way that was too fiddly.
    I use this system every day in my garage, so know it works. I also use it every time I visit my holiday home in France, because I 'share' broadband with my neighbour that way when I'm there.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  10. Lee hocker

Lee hocker New Member