Evolution and Darwins Theory

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jul 29, 2009.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well, acca, hat did cross my mind. Then you start to get back to how did it all start anyway. If the universe is expanding at the speed of light, it must be a tad big by now. :) Plenty of room out there for other life forms. But how they started, well. Perhaps the universe is a single cell in another....

2. AccaDacca

AccaDacca New Member

I think no one will ever know, it hurts my head just thinking about it..lol

3. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

LD, how bacteria evolved from inorganic matter is the easy bit. But try getting your head around how matter appeared from no-where in the first place... :(

Anyways, on a lighter note...

Brumsparky, it may just 'be a theory', but it is the ONLY one that fits - perfectly. And with evidential backup. And every new discovery reinforces it. It fits. And it works.

So, one can choose to be rational and follow the evidence, or be a twit - the choice is that simple.

Current-day apes won't evolve into humans. We haven't evolved from our ape friends. But, a long long way down the line, we did have a common ancestor. Then we split - possibly because one 'tribe' decided to live by the sea and feed mainly from there. Fish-oil fed our developing brains... Our ape cousins have reached their ultimate development for their environment too - so no pressure on them to evolve further. They'll remain apes; most of us will stay human.

If only Darwin were alive today - what company he would keep. And what a happy man he'd be.

Oscar, you touched on an important point. I wonder if our evolution is slowly grinding to a halt, because it is no longer survival of the fittest. Rather, our civility means we try and help all to survive. I wonder if it's to the detriment of our race?

[Edited by: admin]

4. TW@

TW@ New Member

no work on today then graham

5. devil's advocate

Since you ask, *, I've done the 'hard work' bit and now settle for a quite life of gentle leisure - thank you.

Really, TW@, how risky of you to venture on to a thread about evolution...

[Edited by: admin]

6. devil's advocate

Good grief! Admin have deleted my sarcy reference to the ex-Nazi leader.

Pleeeeeeeeez.

7. TW@

TW@ New Member

why do you have to swear all the time d a is it because you have little in the brain department or is it your ropey upbringing screwfix are so bored of your ineptness to communicate with other forum members in a proper and respectful manner so old cogder when is it your turn to r i p

8. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

Brumsparky:

There's a world of difference between a scientific theory and a theory. In science a theory is always based on rigorously observed facts and any predictions it makes must be testable. An ordinary theory can be an opinion or a speculative idea. The theory of evolution is a scientific theory.

You're quite free to believe in magic, myths and invisible friends, but don't try to say that we all believe that nonsense. There is plenty of evidence to show that we diverged from chimpanzees around 6 million years ago, and sufficient fossil evidence to give us a good idea of just how our species evolved.

9. 999

999 New Member

Good grief! Admin have deleted my sarcy reference to
    the ex-Nazi leader.

occasionally admin get things right

x

10. TW@

TW@ New Member

i agree d a you naughty old codger wrap up warm this winter it is going to be a killer

11. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

Unphased:

Woah there tiger!

The creature that can exist both in sea and on land is alive and well and is called the lungfish. It can live in both environments and is an excellent example of a possible "halfway house" in the evolutionary step from sea to land.

Secondly, there is no "Einsteins theory of time shift at the speed of light". There is Einsteins Special Theory of Relativity which covers inertial frames of reference and gives the speed of light in a vacuum as an absolute and constant. This gives that anything approaching the speed of light is subject to the effects of time dilation, but given that mass would increase as that velocity were approached and that the energy requirements to keep acceleration constant to increase the velocity further would increase as well, it's very very unlikely that any significant proportion of the speed of light is approachable at all. The ration of 3.6 billion years to 1 second is preposterous anyway.

Any intelligent life in a distant galaxy or even more realistically in our own stellar neighbourhood is unlikely to ever visit us simply because of the expense of supplying the necessary energy budget, let alone the difficulty of managing the kinetic impacts of micrometeroids, gas and other particles at a relativistic velocity.

12. devil's advocate

"why do you have to swear all the time d a is it because you have little in the brain department or is it your ropey upbringing "

Yeah to both.

So?

13. noconduit

noconduit New Member

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime_20050217.shtml
    Cracking programme on the Cambrian explosion, also plenty related stuff in the archives.

Related to this discussion.

14. noconduit

noconduit New Member

How do you do links?

15. TW@

TW@ New Member

not like that anyway

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Unphased or anyone for that matter who is interested have a read of

YOU ARE HERE
    A portable history of the universe
    by Christopher Potter

Some amazing stuff! It Hurt my head

17. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

NEIN

cheers

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

TEN
    Gazundyke

19. James Caan

James Caan New Member

Well, I've heard enough and for that reason.

I'm out.

20. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I'll get your coat