Excellent Wiring !!!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spike47, Nov 19, 2019.

1. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi

Took this picture of some new wiring in my nieces house ( 1930s build ) done by a qualified electrcian , allegedly ! .
    It is located on the underside of the 1st floor floorboards .

Spike

Attached Files:

FlyByNight likes this.
  2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What is wrong right with that?

Nice and neat, clipped in place although maybe they could be slightly closer!

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Ha ha, someone is going to get a surprise if they ever lift the board with the JB attached to it, hope he didn't use long screws!!

4. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Who paints under floorboards , roof room of some type maybe ?

5. Tony Goddard

I'm guessing these is no ceiling on that section, maybe a pantry, garage or similar

6. FlyByNight

THat was quite common at times, joists with floor boards above and no boarded ceiling. Even as late as the 30's it may still have been the case.

7. spike47

spike47 Member

Above that is the living room , the room below is where you walk into the 3 story house , maybe I have not explained it properly but how on earth can you lay a cable direct to the underside of the floor boards , whatever level it is , surely that is against the regs ? .

Spike

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Couldnt have been a very bright spark then!

9. spike47

spike47 Member

My opinion is that the cable should of been clipped to at least 50mm down along the joist !

10. FlyByNight

It almost certainly is, similarly the run notched in the joists are not safe, the holes through the joists - possibly too close to the end although the other wires could have gone through those rather than the notches.

And if that is that standard of work - a cable finder will be very useful to check floors and walls before any drilling.

spike47 likes this.
  11. spike47

spike47 Member

It is going to be boxed in, about half way up the ceiling joist's .

12. It should have been clipped to the joist, plus there is no need for an unnecessary junction box in the cable, it should have been one piece.

No safe plates used over the cables where there should be when notching.

spike47 likes this.
  13. spike47

spike47 Member

Yes exactly the run through the end of the joists are a deff no, no , not sure of some of the replies on here , thinking there is nothing wrong with this installation !

14. spike47

spike47 Member

Yes exactly, totally a wrong installation in my honest opinion

15. Tony Goddard

If it's being boxed in and the JB is absolutely needed (can't see why it's only joining two ends, spark probably being cheap and using odds of cable) then it should be maintenence free (Hager/Ashley, Wagobox etc) not a pork pie JB

16. spike47

spike47 Member

I think the JB not been MF, is the least of the wiring problems

17. spike47

spike47 Member

Well guys , thanks for all your feedback on this post , the next question is , would you agree or not , that I should say to my niece that she should get the sparky back in and do it properly , being clip cable to beam 50mm from top and re feed cable across the beams at the end , through the beams 50mm below floor boards ( there is holes already drilled through some of the beams were there had been cable through before !) .
    What do you all think should be done or not done ? .

cheers

Spike

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

upload_2019-11-19_17-10-53.png

spike47 likes this.
  19. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If the cable is not 50mm from the top side of the floorboards, its against Regs.

spike47 likes this.
  20. spike47

spike47 Member

Interesting
    Yes I thought there was a reg saying that , would you know what the reg number is ? .
    Tks , Yes I thought that was correct , 50mm from board , so it is has I had said a no,no installation ! .