Excessive Roof Noise in wind

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chris Milne, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Chris Milne

Chris Milne New Member

Hey, wondering if someone can advise.

We've had a couple of nights of high winds, and when gusting, we get terrible banging and thudding noises coming from our bedroom ceiling, from several different places. I've been in the loft and the noise is almost non existent, the noise all comes down stairs. It's loud enough to keep you awake.

My hunch is that it's the wind hitting the gable end wall and the force travelling through the roof, onto the main support post in the middle of the loft,which is in turn connected to a joist that runs the width of the house. I'm guessing these slight movements are the bangs and thudding I'm hearing. The main noise comes from directly where this main beam connects with the main ceiling joist.

Any ideas how I can reduce this noise? Can I add extra support somewhere to reduce movement?
    Would putting up plasterboard on the loft rafters reduce wind getting in and roof movement?
    What sort of tradesmen could come and check this out?

Any advise would be appreciated as the noise is driving me mad whenever it gets over 30mph.

Chris

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Do you have rockwool insulation between and across the ceiling joists?

3. Chris Milne

Chris Milne New Member

I don't think so no. It's just the old style, almost fluffy insulation. Quite thick and dusty. Is it worth replacing?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Very much so mate, yeah. Stick 100mm between your ceiling joists and cross layer 200mm over the top, your heat loss will reduce dramatically and there should be noticeable sound reduction. Any photos of the outside of your house, may be able to see something further?

5. Chris Milne

Chris Milne New Member

I'll post a picture in the light tomorrow. We had our roof re-Tiled and new facias put on last Autumn, but noise has only just started.

The only thing with the insulation idea that makes me doubt it's effectiveness, is that I think the noise is coming though the ceiling joists. You can hear the main support creaking as the wind gusts, this I think is attached to the main joists, which must be rubbing or moving slightly.

Because the insulation is going beside and on top of the joists, but not under, I'm not sure this will reduce this particular noise. It's certainly worth a try though given it's probably needs renewing anyways.

6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Did you change the tiles like for like or put heavier tiles on?

7. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Insulation will do nothing for structural noise, the creaks will travel through the timbers.

We had similar problems and I was convinced our roof had a major defect. I was crawling all over it for years with the TRADA manual searching for missing bracing or connections.

Then one day in a storm I opened the window and felt the fascias were moving. The next day I recreated the noise by wobbling the fascia. We now have silence after getting the fascia fixed.

If you had the roof and fascia done recently then I'd say the most likely culprit is something has worked itself loose.

8. Chris Milne

Chris Milne New Member

New tiles, bigger and I suspect heavier but exactly the same as the attached semi next door. It has crossed my mind though that this could be a cause. The roof has been on a year now though without any issues

9. Chris Milne

Chris Milne New Member

Most of the noise comes from the middle of the house, well away from the facias. As I say, it comes directly beneath where the ceiling joist meets the main roof support post in the loft.

10. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

"We had our roof re-Tiled and new facias put on last Autumn, but noise has only just started."
    Why don't you ask the roofer who carried out the work to check out your concern.

11. Chris Milne

Chris Milne New Member

Well, yeah that would be the logical next step. However it took them 4 attempts to come back and fix a leak around the flashing so I'm not overly confident in their ability to advise on this, especially as it's not a problem you can easily show someone, it only happens when it's windy. But yeah, I'll have to at least get them out at some point

12. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Your issues started after the roofing though.it is most likely connected.

Could the extra weight be doing something is what I'm thinking? Putting pressure on the soffit detail as per the ofmther comment RE fascia.

13. Allanjj6

Allanjj6 New Member

Hi
    Any update on your roof noise? I have exact same as you. Found your post on a google search. Paid £100 for a roofer to climb all over my roof. He did find a slate slightly lose and wobbled it against the lead flashing while I listened in the bedroom. It made a similar ish noise to what I hear in heavy wind. Anyway he bent the lead out of the way and silicon glued the tile. 24 hours later , heavy winds and same original noise is back. He found the rest of the roof tiles/slates all secure but says I need to sort a crack round the base of chimney which he is going to quote me a price. Back to the noise though. If I go in the loft the noise comes from high up middle ish area and transfers down the wooden frame , to the ceiling. It is only when the wind is 30 mph ish or greater and it`s as if someone is sitting on my roof occasionally tapping with a small hammer. Someone somewhere must have had this same issue or know of someone.

14. Allanjj6

Allanjj6 New Member

Update. Second Roofer found same tile and re stuck it. problem sorted!

15. Allanjj6

Allanjj6 New Member

meant to say second roofer found the stuck tile and added more glue but reckons noise is from satellite cable bouncing in the wind against tiles