Expanding Foam guns, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Mar 11, 2018.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Hello gents,
    Have had many, many of them, starting from silly priced up "flashy" ones, that often did not last as expected or get "misplaced", as my last "good one"- Fisher, had so so lasting like "Bond It", last one, non branded make of e'vil'bay didn't last, even I used cleaner to squirt through, on Friday started to leak back (stop roller bearing is not shutting), fiddled with it, worked, but don't expect to work next time round :(

Any good quality-make, good value ones?
    Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Jord86 and AlvyChippy like this.
  3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

found "Fischer" labelled one, looks like a a new cheapo model
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273091017536
    :confused:

same "Bond it"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0052C2234/
    for such price seems no brainer o_O , (also, with them ever so handy extensions)

never seen one before
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOBEST-heavy-duty-expanding-GB-0001/dp/B01D50NERC/

(got feeling), one of the gimmicky labeled
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-FAIFOAMGUNNS-Heavy-Duty-Foam-Gun/dp/B00IT34GIM/
    I swear to have had same black one in the past with some different name and that coating on outside has 0 effect on longevity

very berry temping to get
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076FTWZSK/
    but can not be sure of not changing the mind about having a normal length or having a some review (recommendation), but it is in that "Teflon" coating and 61cm - 24" lenght

decisions, decisions, decisions....

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Longevity is down to cleaning the bluddy thing after use.:D

AlvyChippy likes this.
  5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might find cheaper & post free if you search listings.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

:D and again! :D
    before I punch the keyboard ...

Agree with you, but only to certain degree, as some even not cleaned (if left with the IE foam screwed on few days) later are still usable, as they have firmer springs, smaller chamber between valves, some are possible to take apart to clean after etc...

and the one that you linked, I bought- is it black coated inside?, does it make any difference?, as I remember having one of those " new miracle Teflon coated" to pack up the same way as others, and once taken apart- inside they are not coated....

Thanks!

9. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I had the one KIAB linked to until some twxt nicked it on a job a few years ago, have tried others and now own a cheapie, but that one was undoubtedly the best I've tried.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Only if' it'll pack up shortly, else will NOT post back findings :p :D

As ever they are made in few designs, identical, but better ones end up labelled with known names and price double-triple-quadrupole up...

KIAB likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Changing the subject slightly an OP earlier posted that they had a really badly chased out recess for an electrical back box and wondered how to fit it so it was slightly protruding for plastering, semi seriously I suggested expanding foam and got jumped all over by Deleted member 11267 who called me a cowboy and suggested a much harder and expensive way.
    I'm a fairly recent convert to expanding foam but I am amazed at it's versatility and this seemed a reasonable use of it, I don't know if it would affect the insulation of the cable or if it would cause any other problems but what do you think?
    I could have asked this on the original post but I didn't want it to go the way of most sparks posts.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have fixed metal back boxes in place with foam in the past.:eek::(
    Nothing wrong with it.

As to whether it will affect cable I don't know, as I alway put cable in oval condiut, I'm old skool cowboy though, but it's out of fashion today.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I read that thread a few minutes ago, there's nothing wrong with your suggestion at all, have done it myself several times on rough stonework, with small wedges to hold the backbox in place until the foam cures. Once plastered or filled itl never ever move.

Some people are resistant to change, Chip :)

KIAB likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure hence the ? but it seemed reasonable, Deleted member 11267 seems to have scared anyone else from posting.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I actually quite enjoy his blunt Victor Meldrew statements and observations, and he's correct a lot of the time, but in some situations you've just got to do whatever works with minimal disruption.

I'm a huge fan of expanding foam, incredibly versatile, saved my behind on lots of occasions, especially working on old homes. Lots and lots of little tips and tricks I've discovered can be done with the stuff.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Jord86 likes this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  19. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

My introduction to the foam was in 2002, when I've worked on a project, where Germans came to do the bulk job in erecting the "Huff house" (we did foundations and everything, that comes with it; we did access points, load of finishing touches blah, blah, blah...) amazing amount of a job they did and left in 4 days .

Anyway, in an old barn (by the estate entrance, where they had stored some of the delivery earlier (fixings)), I looked at and couldn't believe, them fitting wide "window board" (just an old oak plank) on a top of rotten bricks, without a single fixing on the top and few straps down.
    I though...

... then I had to replace it, with much nicer and wider one to cover the rad- not kidding, I lifted up few half bricks together

Convert ever since!

As it comes to foam, I always try to find similar to it, that doesn't expand as mad hater, but remains firm and consistant
    this kind https://www.fastco.co.uk/fischer-b1-firestop-expanding-foam-pink-hand-held-750ml-can-42757.html

Jord86 likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Being fire resistance is handy when pipes go through a wall,etc, can foam it in.:)

Jord86 likes this.