Expanding Foam guns, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Flattening the brick or block and plugging and screwing would not be more expensive,even if buying a deeper box.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not always possible on old brickwork that just crumbles the moment you look at it.
    PB adhesive is good in these situations, but not always to hand, so occasionally use foam myself as well.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I came here to get away from you.

KIAB and CGN like this.
  5. I came here to correct your incorrect post.

CGN likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was asking other peoples opinion without starting a fight on the sparkies forum because you lot could start a fight in an empty room. There are different options beside yours so please respect them.

btiw2, seen it all before and KIAB like this.
  7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

"update" gents,
    gun is here- 100% identical to my old chrome coloured one, as much (without need to take apart) as I can see- possibly coated on inside the same "teflon"... haven't used it yet
    Cheers!

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I never clean my foam guns. Simply leave the can on and switch it for a new one quickly. I used to clean them but found it really timeconsuming and didnt make the gun last any longer. I get about 25 cans through a gun before it needs replacing.

Currently using a Bond-It black teflon one.

Used right foam is a fantastic product and solves so many awkward fixing jobs.

Done right the bond strength is great.

Couple of great tips I was shown.

Use a plant sprayer to dampen very dry or crumbly surfaces, improves the adhesion and speeds up curing.

Use a silcone nozzle shoved on the end to get in narrow gaps around linings and frames etc.

Also if you want to fix a batten, dado, panel etc or similar in a "no drill" situation and want to hold it while it goes off a bit of mitrebond will hold it sufficiently while the foam cures.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another one, who use to the spreyer, depending on the job I use a hand sprayer or garden sprayer.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Foam is a real problem solver. Always finding new ways to use it. Watched someone the other day foam in chases then trim it about 5mm below the surface and filled it. Worked great. I am going to try how cured foam and 2 pack filler work together as I often have small areas that need patching in quickly.

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Not great, as foam remains a tad too soft for 2P filler,
    also where it is compressed, creates film like barrier for the 2P F to stick to properly,
    also whilst foam likes damp timber 2PF hates any moisture.

but as it comes to TIP's... yes, I had many big areas to "plaster" up quickly using foam and FineFill on the top, to patch removed sockets... even a hole, where old gas fireplace was...:oops:

As it comes to guns, for the money paid (and I'll try to be lazy not cleaning every time- easily done :D ) if anything, old type of Fischer seemed better made, load heavier, but they costed something like £40 15 years ago, however, if this one fails, I might try to find that one.... dunno

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A couple of great tricks I have discovered with foam/ things I use it for is:

1- Loose plasterboard. Anyone that has ever dot and dabbed at some point may have had a part of the wall where the dabs didn't adhere for whatever reason. Drill a hole roughly an inch in diameter, aim the nozzle and pump it in. Strut the plasterboard for a couple hours and then remove, it will be solid, danger averted.

2. Window boards/internal cills. Several times I've been required to fit softwood or hardwood cills to reveals that are already plastered, rather than chop the wall to sink brackets in or even dare fix through the face, foam the underneath, pack it level and weigh it down with whatever, heavy books if needs be. It will never come away.

3. Bath panel. A real cheat, and my favourite, if you've got to fit the cheapest, flimsiest, wobbliest rubbish bath panel that a tight customer wants or what they supply on site these days, spray beads of foam every foot or so down the back of the panel making sure you avoid any protrusions from the bath, leave it an hour or so, and the foam will have rigidified (word of the day) the panel enough that you can fit it without fear of a split appearing.

Who's gonna start a 'Hints and Tips' thread then, gents? :)

13. cybervic

cybervic Member

hope it’s alright reviving an old thread as I’m now a convert of expansion foam after getting a Bond-it foam gun as suggested here.

This week I bought some pinkgrip dry fix fx but its instruction says “ MUST ONLY BE APPLIED USING A PINKGRIP DRY FIX APPLICATION GUN, ORDINARY FOAM GUNS MUST NOT GE USED”.

Is it true I can’t use pinkgrip foam with bond-it gun? What’s so special about pinkgrip foam gun?