Expansion gap around door frames

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Dec 26, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I'm fitting herringbone flooring, real wood with 3mm wear layer and overall 10m thick.

I've left the recommended 10mm expansion gap all around the room +/- 2 to 3 mm.

Around the door frame here, can I tightly butt the flooring up against the frame where it won't be covered by the architrave or is this not recommended?

A gap with sealant won't look as good.

Other option is to fit these plinth blocks and trim the architrave to fit on top and skirting on side. This will allow full expansion gap around the frame and cover it up. Though I'd have to go through the trouble of making one, I'm sure I have plenty of MDF or wood offcuts for this.

Please see images.

Attached Files:

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Any reason you can’t undercut by 10mm same as you have with the architrave?

3. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Because that bit pointed by red arrow in pic won't be covered by architrave so a gap will look unsightly. I'd have to use sealant but the finish just won't be as good

4. Truckcab79

That was my point. Unless I’m missing something why don’t you just undercut it with a multi-tool / chisel whatever you have and slide it all the way under. Doesn’t need to be covered by architrave.

5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Its the original door frame...probably as old as the victorian house...100 plus years old. You reckon its okay to cut into the frame?

6. Truckcab79

You’re only cutting into it enough to hide the edge of the flooring and it’s not like it’s standing it’s weight on the floor, it’s fixed to the wall so even if for some reason you cut it all the way through it’s not going anywhere. Tidiest solution even if a bit fiddly. multi tool and then thin chisel and you’re done.