expencess for fuel

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tetleyman, Mar 25, 2011.

1. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

If i was a cards in plumber i.e paye tax and the company i work for supply's  a van for there use only( no private use) i put the fuel in to go to work but they only pay me 10pence a mile, with fuel at £6 a gallon can i claim anything back on my tax as i am £3 down on every gallon,i can take the van home and they tax and insure it

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

no, employee who work in a office have to pay their own way to work, why should the government pay your travel to work ?

p,s harrys coming thoddies, for his going away do,

3. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

But the the job is 25miles away from there workshop and office so stick that in your pint pot

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

So what?

You apply for a job and you accept it on the terms offered, 25 miles is nowt compared to some.

When I was at school the Dad of a lad in our form traveled to London daily to get to work at his expense.

We live in Cheshire BTW!  :eek:

Or put another way, if the firm said right **** it, U buy your own Car, Tax it, insure it, maintain it & fuel it to travel to work, or, carry on using our Van (Tax & insured and maintained for free) and you just pay Diesel?

I know which I'd pick alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long!

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Tetley, If they are sending you in their van to a job 25 miles away, they have to pay for the fuel. If you live a few miles away from where you work, then park the van at work at the end of the day and pick it up there in the morning. They'll soon get the message. Lets say you start work at eight in the morning,, would they rather you were starting this job 25 miles away at eight o clock or picking up the van from base at eight o clock?.
    There's more than one way to skin a rabbit. Leave the van at work for a few weeks and see what they say.;)

BTW, the shopfitting company I used to work for paid 40p per mile in allowances (covered fuel , mileage and wear and tear, but this was for our own vehicles)