Exposure to wood treaments?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MJL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. MJL

MJL New Member

Hi

First time poster here hoping for some advice. Last summer I used old timber that was removed from our loft as part of an extension to burn in my pizza oven. The house was built around 1900-1903 and as far as i know the timber in the roof is from that period and has not been rebuilt at any point. I figured this out after a neighbour down the street did their loft and the timbers look identical. The builder who did the loft said it was great in his wood burner and would be great in the oven too.

I haven't been using it to cook with, for that I use kiln dried beech. But I have been using it to get the fire going, or to have fires to warm the oven after long, cool weather periods of inactivity. But obivously the ash from that wood is still present in the oven after I've swiched to beech.

It was only when a friend said that timber of that age would still have been treated that I started to worry. I looked into it and it appears that CCAs were only used from 1930 onwards, so hopefully I've not been exposing my loved ones to CCA poisoning. But I was wondering if anyone here had any input on what I might have been exposed to? Or suggestions on where I could find that out? I know it's too late now but I'd like to know so I can decide whether or not to investigate medically.

I'm not sure how temperature stable the compounds that I might have been exposed to are but the oven goes above 400 degrees celcius before I start cooking the pizza.

Thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You would have been exposed to old slow growth timber (probably pitch pine or Douglas fir) that was far superior to the rubbish that gets machined up and sold as timber in today’s age. You would not have been exposed to anything other than a bit of smoke and ash, your friend needs to do a bit more reading.

gadget man and ramseyman like this.