Expoxy Grout

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kaf, Aug 12, 2004.

1. kaf

kaf New Member

Does anyone know where you can get White Epoxy Grout

I beleive that although it is great stuff it's a nightmare if you need to remove it, but, is it ever likely to need removing - ie does it go dull and mouldy like ordinary adhesive.

On another point I noticed when I grout the grout tends to sink into the gap and leave a line of holes down the middle of the grout and you have to grout a second time - any tips on how to avoid this?

2. danjo

danjo New Member

That happened to me once when I used combined fix & grout, doesn't seem to be a problem if you use seperate grout.

3. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi kaf.

I believe Bal do white EG but, if not, I'm pretty sure 'Kerapoxy' do. Phone up tile shops in your locality and you'll track it down.

It <u>will</u> be a sod to remove once set (so make sure you get all the tile surfaces free of unwanted grout before it sets...), but its huge advantage is that it'll never go mouldy, lose colour, fall out and is virtually scratch proof - fantastic stuff!

You <u>won't</u> have the 'sinking' problem with epoxy, only with ready-mixed stuff that shrinks as it dries. Epoxy sets <u>chemically</u> - it doesn't dry out to set.

It's surprisingly easy to use, but don't apply a larger area than you can finish before it sets! Have a large bucket of clean water and a couple of sponges ready when it comes to the finishing stage of the job.

I've used it on two tiled kitchen worktops so far and its been completely durable for many years I've been at each house.

I can't remeber who does 'Kerapoxy', but do a google search and you'll find out.

4. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Kerapoxy is by a company called 'Mapei'. They have a website that gives all the info you'll need about application, etc.

As I said, if you phone up tile shops, you'll find one that'll do either Bal or Kerapoxy.

5. mj

mj Guest

check first to see if any other grouts will suffice (Bal or Mapaie tech help websites), as epoxy is not the easiest to work with.
    don't forget that epoxy grout sticks like **** to a blanket on everything in comes into contact with - glazed tile surface, hands, tools, anthing you touch, etc. follow makers instructions & don't pick your nose with epoxy on your finger!