Extend a short SWA cable into consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by David Dundas, Oct 20, 2019.

1. David Dundas

David Dundas New Member

Hi

Looking to extend an SWA cable that's too short into garage consumer unit. Had a new garage put in replacing with an up and over door meaning I can't site the consumer unit to the existing SWA cable as it's close to the door opening and gets in way of the frame.
    Looking to extend an extra foot and dont want to replace the whole cable.
    Existing SWA is 20mm . Garage will have 2 LED battens and 3 double sockets.
    How do I connect up.
    Thanks.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Gland the existing cable into a metal box and then run a bit of 6 or 10 mm t/e into the c/unit.

3. David Dundas

David Dundas New Member

Thanks
    What join would you suggest for the swa and t/e . Can you get a wago for that size of cable to join together ? What should be used ? .

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As long as it's accessible I would use some meaty sized connector blocks.

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

He talks of a 20mm SWA, more than likely the overall diameter of the cable and not the (non existant) CSA of it, its probably only a 2.5 or even 1.5 cable feeding a small garage. Probwbly just needs a thro' box and a couple of glands.

6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Use a galvanised BESA through box 20mm each end, thread the armour gland in one end, use a stuffing gland the other to bring out a T&E cable. The BESA box has a 4mm tapped hole in the rear for earth connection.

Wago connectors will fit in these, you have to buy the box lid separately - and a gasket if you expect it to get wet.

Attached Files:

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Or one of these with the right glands
    upload_2019-10-21_1-16-29.png