Extended warranties

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by RolandK, Mar 2, 2019.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi
    The manufactures warranty on our Ford ends soon so considering an extended warranty other than Ford's. Maybe with MotorEasy. Had mixed experiences with other companies in the past so undecided!
    Any opinions/advice based on experience of these warranties in general or MotorEasy in particular?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Put the money in a separate account each month .

Insurance policies only benefit the shareholders.

Sparkielev likes this.
  3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yeah, was thinking that might be a good option. Also reading the t&c's on these policies there are so many apparent loopholes in their favour you're not sure what is and isn't covered!

Dam0n likes this.
  4. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

You'll find they will put almost everything down as "wear and tear" and you'll end up fighting with them to get them to fix anything .

Alot of companies only cover "engine and gearbox" which to be honest if those failed in such a short time on a new car the consumer rights act would apply and the manufacturer would be footing the bill irregardless of it being in warranty.

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I paid for one with a 2nd hand car I bought about 6 or 7 years ago. The car was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. I think I paid about £150 for the warranty...

I had the car for just over two years and a fault developed... I got a warning light on the dash.
    I can't remember exactly what it was, but an expensive part needed replacing under the steering wheel.
    Part was about £350. Labour was a couple of hours.

Warranty paid out with no big issues... however there were 3 small caveats...

The diagnosis and repair had to be carried out by a bone fide business, that was VAT registered.
    The diagnosis had to be done first and submitted
    They would only pay labour at a rate of £25 per hour...

This was a main dealer so labour was considerably more than that, about £60 if I remember.

So I ended up paying a total of about £70 for a bill that was over £500. Even allowing for the premium I'd initially paid it all worked in my favour.
    I'd buy one again if I were in a similar situation.

Regards,
    Cando

6. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Sounds like it worked out for you then.
    I had a similar issue with a warranty a while back relating to diagnostics. I had to take the car to a Jag main dealer for diagnosis and pay for it. Then get the car back and take it the warranty approved garage to be fixed. The main agent had to do some dismantling to ge to the part to test it. Then I was supposed to pay them to refit the faulty part, reassemble the dash and take the car to the other garage! Made no sense as the part was not expensive but insurance company refused to let them do it so I told the dealer to fit the new part and cancelled the warranty claim. Just what the insurer wanted me to do no doubt.

7. paj

paj Member

I had a VW one on my last car and found it cheaper and more comprehensive than the independants. Saved me £3000 when the DSG gearbox failed........

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

9. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

waste of money

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

It's the transmission in our Ford that I'm most concerned about as it's one of those dual clutch 6 speed autos. Apparently mega bucks if they go.

11. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Useful, thanks

12. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Following a searching conversation with one of the Warranty companies I don't think they understand what their policies do! Too many contradictions and loopholes. Everything stacked in their favour. Kept on about independent engineer checking validity of claims. How is an engineer independent if they are paying them?
    One interesting exclusion is engine failure if the engineer believes the car has been repeatedly used for journeys where the engine has not got up to operating temperature! How do you prove/disprove that? Maybe logged in the ecu?
    So probably more hassle than it's worth. Will just stash money in a rainy day car fund.
    Thanks all for your input.

Dam0n likes this.
  13. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I've covered my van with MotorEasy and it's just going into the third year of a three year policy which cost me £998. I've not had to claim so far,
    but frankly, I wish I'd put the grand into the bank instead. I may change my mind if something happens in the final year, but I won't be renewing
    it in any event.

Dam0n likes this.
  14. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yeah, you never know how good your cover is until you need to claim! Motoreasy seem to use Halfords a lot. In my and family's experience they are very 'variable' shall we say!? I have a local independent garage who are exceptional and would rather stay with them.
    I have had good experiences with extended warranties but that was some years ago when perhaps it was all slightly more 'honourable'?