Extending a lintel over doorway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Knowsome, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

1. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Hi I want to increase the width of a doorway. The wall is internal, concrete block partly supporting a loft floor above. The problem is at present the existing concrete lintel needs to be either replaced or the load 600-800mm of blockwork above plus some weight of the floor supported by in effect extending the length of the lintel by 300-400mm.

I thought that maybe a mild steel flat 15mm or more thick could be inserted into the wall extending below the end of the existing lintel to partly occupy the pad area.

2. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

You're going to have to put in a new lintel to the correct length so it bears 150mm on each side.

May be able to remove a full block and cut the rest in half, if the joints are plumb.

3. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Thanks Jitender

4. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Is the doorway tight to another wall, or offset/central?

5. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Another RSJ post :rolleyes:

Depending on the age of your house you may find that the loft floor could be part of your roof structure and be holding quite a weight

I would post some pictures

6. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Hi sospan, Yes the doorway is tight to another wall. Olease see attached drawing: technical0016v1.jpg technical0016v1.jpg

7. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Hi CGN Thanks the doorway is tight to another wall. The drawing below shows that the floor joists approx 55x 170 are joined above the wall. So I would bolt together those joists affected which at presetn are nailed. There is another wall about a metre away that is also supporting the floor. The runner/binder has struts that are joined to the purlin